Problems starting GS1100GK project bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems starting GS1100GK project bike

Finally got the pipes mounted back on the GS1100GK project tonight. Installed new battery, new spark plugs, and changed oil, as well. Now for the moment of truth:

- Push start button . . . nothing. Aha! Clutch safety switch not engaged. Bridged with a set of vise-grips temporarily.

- Push start button again. This time the starter cranks like a champ, but engine isn't igniting.
    -Check plugs - yep: they're getting spark (ouch!)
    -Check gas - yep: it's getting to the float bowls (not sure if it's getting to the engine from there)
    -Check compression - yep: with spark plugs removed, air is coming out the holes (I think that's how you check compression??)
    -Check engine - yep: it turns easily with bike in gear, rotating the rear tire.
    ***Drat! Now the battery is dead. Will have to wait until tomorrow to try again.

So, what am I missing? I've never tried to bring back a bike from the dead. This one was running before going into storage 3-4 years ago. Anything else I should be looking into? I cleaned the carbs thoroughly a month or 2 ago, and replaced float bowl gaskets. Does it just take a couple of charges of the battery and lots of cranking to get the gas to the engine on a bike that's been stored this long?

On the plus side, all the electronics seem to work: light, signals, instrument cluster (including gear indicator), gas gauge, brake light, etc. I think once I get it running, the only thing left to do is get the brakes working. The front master cylinder is pretty gummed up inside, but the rear seems operational. Not sure of condition of calipers at this point. We'll see.

Re: Problems starting GS1100GK project bike

On my GS750, if you were to turn the ignition on, press the starter
    button and twist the throttle, it will not even fire, much less start.
    My start sequence if the bike has been sitting for a day or more is
    turn petcock to prime, wait 10 seconds, turn petcock to on, pull choke full out, ignition on, press starter. Do not even touch the throttle. It will never start with throttle when cold. When it catches and starts running, adjust rpm with the choke until the engine warms up. (usually about 3 minutes) Keep reducing choke until it is idling with no choke. Gently increase rpm with throttle and once it is warm enough to accept throttle, blip it a couple times to clear things.

Earl

[quote="R-Tru-D2"]Finally got the pipes mounted back on the GS1100GK project tonight. Installed new battery, new spark plugs, and changed oil, as well. Now for the moment of truth:

- Push start button . . . nothing. Aha! Clutch safety switch not engaged. Bridged with a set of vise-grips temporarily.

- Push start button again. This time the starter cranks like a champ, but engine isn't igniting.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Earl is right

I have the identical bike you have. My 1100GK starts without throttle at all. Make sure your battery is FULLY charged. Mine gets fiinicky if the batery is down even a little. "Prime" for 10 seconds, then to "on", full choke, starter button. If you're getting spark and gas to the engine it will go. Mine doesn't idle well until it gets almost fully warmed up. Then I can shut choke off the whole way.

Comment

Won't start?

I know this sounds too simple but my GK was only fireing on two cylinders, #1 and #2. Two different coils right. So I figured check the carbs. After removing and cleaning,(not a quick process) still no go. Then it dawns on me. #3 and #4 plug wires are on the wrong plugs.

Silly me.

Comment

Re: Problems starting GS1100GK project bike

[quote="earlfor"]On my GS750, if you were to turn the ignition on, press the starter
          button and twist the throttle, it will not even fire, much less start.
          My start sequence if the bike has been sitting for a day or more is
          turn petcock to prime, wait 10 seconds, turn petcock to on, pull choke full out, ignition on, press starter. Do not even touch the throttle. It will never start with throttle when cold. When it catches and starts running, adjust rpm with the choke until the engine warms up. (usually about 3 minutes) Keep reducing choke until it is idling with no choke. Gently increase rpm with throttle and once it is warm enough to accept throttle, blip it a couple times to clear things.

Earl

That is My EXACT Starting Procedure as well.....Minus the prime stuff.I have a pingel petcock so it is turn it on pull the choke and hit it with no throttle applied

Comment

If you start me up...

Mine will not start with any throttle either... prime to fill the bowls (if it's been sitting a day or two), turn petcock to on, ignition, kill switch, clutch, full choke and start. Vrrooomm!! :twisted: I never have to crack hard.

I usually have to hold the choke for about 30 seconds before I don't have to worry about dying. A few blips on the throttle to clear Larry's throat, and I'm off.

Comment

Mine starts similar also. I don't have to prime even if has been sitting for a week or so. I just open the choke and start, let it idle about 2500rpm for about 1 minute, then reduce to about 1500rpm for a bit and then push in choke and I am off.
              Michael

Comment

New pipes!

[quote="R-Tru-D2"]Finally got the pipes mounted back on the GS1100GK project tonight. Installed new battery, new spark plugs, and changed oil, as well. quote]

My GS1100GZ also starts without throttle, make sure your choke cable is not stretched. My bike started to get harder and harder to start and the problem went away when I replaced the cable.. Open if fully when you do start...

By the way... What kind of exhaust pipes did you put on your bike and where did you get them???
                GY

Comment

It's working now

See my post in the General forum. Got the bike started. Not sure why it worked this time, but it fired right up. All 4 cylinders pumpin' hard! Rode it from the back yard to the front (still need to work on brakes). I have some questions about the brakes - see my other post in this forum.

Thanks for all the tips, guys! This is going to turn out to be a fun summer, I think!

Comment

Bike for sale

You don't list any way to contact you about your bike for sale & only moderators can post replies to FOR SALE items
                    phillsaska@lycos.com

Comment

Working...
                    X