Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filters

Hey again yall,
    Does anybody have a favorate oil filter brand?
    I got a motorcraft oil filter from my job at the local gas station.
    I see all the different brands in the autoparts stores, i figured they are all pretty much the same...what do you guys think?
    Thanks,
    Jus850

Purolator

I've been using Purolator oil filters for a few years on my GK. I get them at Pep Boys. They work just fine. No lubrication problems.

Nick

Comment

You might be surprised to find a lot of these filters are manufactured by the same company and sold to the company you think made it. As long as you are changing it every 3000 miles or so, it's not going to matter much. What you bought will be fine.

Tim

Comment

Re: Purolator

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
        I've been using Purolator oil filters for a few years on my GK. I get them at Pep Boys. They work just fine. No lubrication problems.

Nick
        I did not know they sold the filters at Pep boys.........Cool

Comment

Napa filters

I was at a Pep Boys recently and they didn't stock any bike filters. I've been using filters from Napa Autoparts which are manufactured by Wix. They seem to work just fine although I don't like the looks of the gasket that is included. Fram also makes bike filters but the one for the GS750 is hard to find.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I've alwayse used fram filters in my cars and trucks without problem, my friend tell me that the fram filters used for motorcycles with a steel housings (ie automotive types) have paper thin housings and he wouldn't recommend them, but he says the fram without the canister (ie my GS 1000) are just fine and he's never seen a problem with them. He works in a bike garage and he's used alot of them.. Hope this helps

Comment

Haven't been to PepBoys recently

I was at a Pep Boys recently and they didn't stock any bike filters.

It's possible that PepBoys no longer stocks them. I've been getting them there for a few years. The last time I bought a filter from them was about a year ago, and got 6 of them, and still have a couple of them left.

If they discontinued them, too bad, because the price was right -- less than $4 apiece, and that included the o-ring. I'll take a trip to my local PepBoys and see if they're still stocking them. If not, I'll try the Wix filters at NAPA.

Nick

Comment

I usually wind up with an Emgo, HiFlo or something similar. Depends what I can get. They're getting cheap now, they're not including the "O" ring anymore. :? I don't think I have ever bought a Suzuki one. I try to avoid the dealer at all costs, mainly because a good friend owns a non specific motorcycle shop and I want to give him my business. 8)
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I have been getting mine from the local Carquest guy. They are made by Wix, and include the o-ring. Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

Pep Boys

Yeah, Nick, the guy at Pep Boys said turnover was slow so they've discontinued them. I don't know if that's a nationwide policy but I would think that it might be. The Napa people didn't stock them, either, but were really nice about getting them and pulled them from their warehouse overnight! If you try one, I'd be curious to know what you think of the rubber gasket.....I didn't think it looked very good.
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I've been using the Fram filters, which still come with the gaskets. I get them at the local discount auto parts store for about $5 each.

Comment

Thanks gents

Comment

Working...
                        X