Birthday Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthday Blues

So tomorrow (Wednesday) is my birthday, which I had planned to take part of the day off work so I could go on a nice, slow, quiet, relaxing ride.

So what's the problem? Rain... I hate rain.

Well, actually I love rain. It refreshes and renews, it smells good, and washes the earth clean. I don't love it when riding though. I guess I'll just have to delay my ride... :roll:

Have any of you had an experience that just brought a ride to a total halt, ruined a great ride experience, or just plain messed up your plans? What about a ride that you thought would be bad but turned out to be one for the scrapbook?

Accidents don't count (they all suck) and I hope we hear more stories about "Bad turning Good" rather than "Good turning Bad."

I don't mean to bug you guys with questions for stories all the time, but I like hearing these things. And I always hope to learn more about motorcycles (techniques, culture, history, etc.).

Happy Birthday, Hope it stops raining for you.
    Dink

Comment

RAIN??---RAIN???--RAIN??? DID YOU SAY RAIN!!!! 8O --FOR TWOWEEKS, I HAVE BEEN STUCK IN A TENT DESIGNED TO SLEEP TWO ANEREXIC JAPANESE LITTLE PEOPLE --ALL I AM ABLE TO DO IS READ THE SAME HONDA MAGAZINE OVER AND OVER--I ALSO HAVE RUINED ALL BUT 2 OF MY 14 CHANGES OF UNDERWEAR WHILE DRYING OFF MY BIKE :x AND YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT RAIN. RAIN??--RAIN?? ---RAIN!!!! DID YOU MENTION RAIN????????

Comment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
        RAIN??---RAIN???--RAIN??? DID YOU SAY RAIN!!!! 8O --FOR TWOWEEKS, I HAVE BEEN STUCK IN A TENT DESIGNED TO SLEEP TWO ANEREXIC JAPANESE LITTLE PEOPLE --ALL I AM ABLE TO DO IS READ THE SAME HONDA MAGAZINE OVER AND OVER--I ALSO HAVE RUINED ALL BUT 2 OF MY 14 CHANGES OF UNDERWEAR WHILE DRYING OFF MY BIKE :x AND YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT RAIN. RAIN??--RAIN?? ---RAIN!!!! DID YOU MENTION RAIN????????
        Sounds like it is time for someone to take there medicine. :roll:

Comment

Oh, my! 8O I think it's fairly obvious that my topic may have been poorly timed!

Sorry to hear about your situation, SLOWPOKE, I myself have been trapped in a tent/boat off Lake Erie for a few days on a walleye trip before and can empathize with you.

I think I'll just keep my mouth shut about rain ruining my ride.

Comment

Got stuck in a thunderstorm in South Dakota. The rain was tolerable until the hail started. I had to draw the line at hail and find quick cover. Yes, I know riding in a T-Storm is not too brite...but I was only 10 miles from home (young and stupid) and it came up quick...and I was trying to make it. I didn't. Hail at 65 hurts like the devil....

Comment

Bad ride gone good.

Well this week end I went camping. I heard this place was great, lots to do without a boat and better if you have one or a jet ski. Packed the car and drove to Lake Macanahey in Nebraska. IT SUCKED. Almost 100 degrees the whole time, if you camped in the trees the bugs ate you, if you were on the dshoreline the sun baked you, I got my car stuck, my stepson whinned the whole time (I can't blame him either) and the ride up there and back was BORING. Plus I lost a sleeping bag from the room 5 miles from home. The only good thing about the whole trip was that I saw a really nice 750 (I think, I only saw the side for a second or two, the rest of the time it was in front of me)

Comment

Re: Bad ride gone good.

Originally posted by Jay B
                Well this week end I went camping. I heard this place was great, lots to do without a boat and better if you have one or a jet ski. Packed the car and drove to Lake Macanahey in Nebraska. IT SUCKED. Almost 100 degrees the whole time, if you camped in the trees the bugs ate you, if you were on the dshoreline the sun baked you, I got my car stuck, my stepson whinned the whole time (I can't blame him either) and the ride up there and back was BORING. Plus I lost a sleeping bag from the room 5 miles from home. The only good thing about the whole trip was that I saw a really nice 750 (I think, I only saw the side for a second or two, the rest of the time it was in front of me)
                DONT FEEL BAD JB
                I JUST GOT HOME FROM CAMPING IN WATER WORLD FOR 2 WEEKS AND IT WAS A BEAUTIFULL SUNNY DAY WHEN I LEFT THE CAMP GROUND--JUST AS I REACHED THE HEAVY TRAFFIC IN TAMPA, MY FLAWLESS AND MECHANICALLY PERFECT SUZUKI JAMMED IN 5 TH GEAR--I RODE BETWEEN CARS AND ON THE SHOLDER TO AVOID STOPPING--THEN THE RAIN STARTED AND 2 MINUTES LATER I LOST 2 CYLINDERS---THE BIKE SOUNDED LIKE A CUSHMANN SCOOTER-- I GRABBED AN OVER PASS TO DON MY RAIN GEAR AND NOTICED THAT MY MUFFLER BRACKET HAD DISSAPEARED((A BUNJIE CORD TOOK CARE OF THAT))--WELL IT TOOK MY 40 YEARS OF RIDING EXPERIENCE AND ONE TOUGH MOTORCYCLE TO GET ME HOME AND I WILL SERIOUSLY RE CONSIDER MY RECENT INFATUATION WITH CAMPING FROM A MOTORCYCLE--WEEKEND CAMPING ONLY FROM NOW ON FOR ME--
                NO BUG BITES THOUGH

Comment

Yech

Jammed in 5th gear, lost a muffler bracket, lost 2 cylinders and it rain. Sorry I said anything. For once I actually feel kinda bad for you.....Well now that thats over.......

Comment

great camping trip

Fellows, I'm feeling a little guilty and lucky all at the same time. My brother John and I just got back Wednesday from a three day, two night camping trip to the north Georgia mountains. We had a great time and our old GS 850's preformed flawlessly. We rode about 700 miles total,225 each way and about 250 on wonderful mountain roads. Our man from Atlanta, Alwyn, is right. There are some of the best roads in northern Georgia, peaks and dale's, along beautiful creeks and around rugged mountains, and the twistes and switch backs were to numerous to
                    count. I will have to admit when we came back to camp each day, we were beat. :? Our old 63 and 68 year old bodies don't hold up like they use to. We had a 10 by 10 tent with a queen size air mattress and we slept very good except for the three or four blatter breaks we had to take each night. You should have heard the moans and groans each time we got up. We laughed so hard at each other having to help each other up and down. Believe me it is great to have a brother to ride bikes with. We laughed at each other until our sides hurt. We were in bed each night by 7:00PM and were laying awake talking about old times growing up by 4:00 AM just waiting for it to start breaking day so we could hit the road again. Leaving at day break each day for a day's ride is exciting.
                    We camped at Vogel State park and when we got there about 3:00 PM Monday afternoon, we were so tired that after setting up camp, we put on our swim trunks and went for swim in the beautiful clear and cold lake that is there. Boy, I'm telling you that cold water revived us like nothing else. 8O After that, we went back to camp, had a couple of drinks, ate,and hit the sack and John listened to the Braves-Mets baseball game. I was asleep by the third inning. We dodged the pop-up thunder storms each day until we got about 40 miles from home on Wed. and then we ran in to lulu and we had to
                    get out the rain gear for the first time. But we got home safely even if we were worn out and as far as I know did not have a close call.
                    When we got about 10 miles from my house where we split, I pulled up beside John and told him what a great time I had, and I said, John, give me a couple of day's and I will be ready to go again. He gave me that old s--t eating grin of his and said, YEA RIGHT. 8O
                    But we truly did have a great time. Ya'll ride safe now.
                    David

Comment

Jealous

OK I'm jealous.

Comment

David, Glad you had a good time buddy!! That's what life is all about, That makes for some Awesome memories and laughs!! I too, am jealous!
                        Michael :P

Comment

The next time David says Scotty, why dont you meet me and john somewhere" in going

Comment

Area

David,
                            I decided to look Springville up on the map. It's only 65 miles from Fort McClellan where I went to school several different times. Beautiful area down there. I loved it. Never got to bike it but did take in some of the sites on the week ends. What ever you do don't ever invite Scotty to ride with you and your brothers again. I would hate to see the driveways in that area defiled with red paint.

Comment

Working...
                            X