You can make your own windscreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can make your own windscreen

8) After searching for several years for a solution to the excessive noise caused by my windscreen, I have an 86 GS 1150 EF, I had to take matters into my own hands and custom make my own windscreen.

This is how to do it:

1. Buy a piece of 1/8 lexan, 24'' x 24'' should be enough. I bought extra because I made several windscreens.

2. Buy some bristle board and decide on the design of the windscreen.

3. Make a bristle board windscreen. I did this by holding the bristle board at the angle I wanted and pressing the bristle board around my fairing where the windscreen bolts on, this makes an indentation that you can highlight with a pencil and makes it easier to see when you cut it out. I used several different pieces taping them in place and filing in where ever there were spaces. This makes an almost perfect pattern.

4. Once you are satisfied with the way the bristle board windscreen looks on your bike take it off and tranfer the pattern onto the lexan.

5. Cut out the pattern from the lexan, leave the plastic film on until you are finished, using a jig saw with a fine blade.

6. Get a piece of plywood that's a little wider than your old windscreen. Place your old windscreen onto the plywood and trace around the outside.

7. Screw wooden blocks along the line in several places.

8. Take the lexan that you cut out and bend it so it fits onto the plywood. The wooden blocks will hold it in place.

9. Make a piece, I used plywood, that fits the contour of the top of the windscreen. This will stop the top of the windscreen from collapsing when heated.

10. place the contour piece onto the top of the windscreen and attach it to the base plywood, I used wire.

11. Make sure your plywood jig fits into your oven. Mine fit right into the rack grooves in the oven.

12. Preheat your oven to about 250 degrees F.

13. Place your plywood jig wit
    h new lexan windscreen in place into the oven.

14. Bake it for about 12 minutes, this will vary depending on what oven you use, and watch it the whole time.Do not over heat as the lexan will sag

15. When you think it's done, take it out and let it cool.

16. When cold take it out of the jig, it will relax a bit but not enough to cause a problem.

17. Fit the new windscreen onto your bike and mark where to drill the holes.

18. Drill holes, I drilled a pilot hole first.

19. Bolt the beautiful new lexan windscreen that you have created onto your machine.

20. Saddle up and start riding

A note on the lexan that I used.

I used XL 10 which has a coating on one side that resists the sun. A piece 1/8 x 24'' x 24'' cost me $ 22 Can. Alot cheaper than the store bought kind.

It took me a couple of tries before I got it right but it was worth it.

Be patient and don't give up.

Good luck

Jari Paavola

I will be going through this very process when I get around to building my airplane. I've had the blueprints for 3 years now Once I get a garage I'll go into full production. I've been buying lots of tools though...

Comment

lexan windsheild

I did the same thing, got a chunk of lexan at Home Depot, smoke color. Took a bit of messing around but it doesnt look bad at all. Dealer wanted $250 for the original. I sometimes wonder why this sport/hobby survives with the absolutely rediculous prices for parts!!!

Comment

Having little experience on the subject, my guess is that the final shape has a lot to do with the bending.

On my GK, I simply took off the original, pushed it flat against a new sheet of Lexan, traced the old one on the protective cover, cut it with a spiral cutter, drilled it against wood blocks (to avoid damaging the drill bit) and mounted it. Smoothing the edges was done with a belt sander and a fine grit belt.

That's it.
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Using the SEARCH and finding exactly what you are looking for is one of the best things about this website! I've got the Lexan cut and ready to bend and I just was certian about how long and what temperature...

Comment

Wow, who knew you could make your own windshield!, Apparently you guys did!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Does anyone have a picture documentation of this process... or know where a good one could be found?

I find it eaiser to follow pictures...

Comment

Working...
              X