Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gs 850 seat replacements (suggestions plz)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 850 seat replacements (suggestions plz)

Im lookin to replace the seat on my 850. I have the typical ripped up seat, ducttaped with a travelcade cover on top. I was lookin for a new seat that is comfortable, perhaps an inch lower. I looked at corbins but DAMN 400$ for a "gunfighter and lady" seat. Im a broke college kid and im lookin for a reasonable alternative. If you have any suggestions i would love to hear'm
    Thanks
    Jus850

jc whitney

JC Whitney makes a replacement cover, for about $98.00. I bought one and really like it,, only a little warm for the summer here. About $105.00 with shipping!
    You have to use your seat base tho!

Comment

Local Shop

Yopu might want to check a local apolisty (sp) shop. I'm having mine recovered and the foam changed for $125.

Comment

Hey Jay are you going to have them move the backrest portion where you sit back. I think that you once said you did not have enough room.
        I have the same bike 81' 850GL and I too do not have enough leg room.
        6'03'' with long legs. I wish the front pegs would be forward more than they are. I am going to put case guards with pegs on so at least when I'm cruising I can strech my legs. I have been looking for new seats but I don't think any will work.

JD

Comment

Seat

John,
          Yes I did say that and yes I'm going to have it done that way. I'm an inch taller so I know how you feel. As for the case guards with foot rests I think that you are going to find that you are wasting your money on foot rests for the case guards as you still will not feel comfortable because you wont get them to set right. Well I never could anyhow. What I did was get a set of highway pegs from JC Whitney that attached to the front downtubes. They said that they were for a GS650XXXX but by playing with the clamps and some longer bolts I got them to work and they look pretty good as well.

Comment

Ive been looking to redo a seat too, If you dont mind some elbow grease.
            re-do the pan, wire brush off the rust and coat with Extend to kill the rust. Sold next to Rust-o-leum usually. It will convert the rust to a primer. (bout 5 bucks at Home Depot)
            If its hole'd, get a fiberglass kit at the auto store and fill In the holes.

You can get replacement foams from a fabric store or apholstry shop and form it up with an electric knife or long razor (I got a retractable one for 99c at Bldg19.)
            Cover with a travelcade. Mine was 49 bucks. go right to Saddlemen direct. FORGET JCWhitney. I waited 2 months on backorder for a Saddlemen from JCW then called Saddlemen 3 DAYS and made to order.
            Their number is 800-397-7709

Mine is great. little tight. so I called them and they said if it dont go on, send the seat to them and theyll custom make one, no charge. (for 1 year) so you can wait till November to send the seat...

Hope this helps. It helped me
            Most of the ideas I got in here.. so credit to you all

Comment

Thanks gents, helpful stuff
              Jus850

Comment

Travelcade/Saddlemen also make a contoured touring-type seat top.
                Foam is in place and you just pull the cover edges down onto your seat pan, put it on and ride.

They make it for an 850, but after searching for months I needed a seat badly, so I bought the seat top on Ebay, cut and welded a pan from an 1100E model to fit my 1100G, and it works well. I think they call it their sofa-style, or a name like that. Depending on your leg length you may have to adjust the foam thickness.

It's a good seat, and I am probably smaller than Jay, and I like the contour. Beware of the stitching. If the bike gets wet, then water goes inside and you get a wet tail later. I believe this problem is common to all seats that have stitching done.

I asked Saddlemen about that, and they replied on Friday that I should use mink oil on the stitches. Haven't tried it yet.

If you are putting on a cover, or having it done, be sure to have the seat foam wrapped in polyethylene plastic sheeting before the cover goes on.
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                X