Tank Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Size

What size tank does the GS1100GLZ have? I thought that it was supposed to have a 4.5 gallon tank (US). At my last fil-up I put in 3.1 gallons after going to reserve. It didn't seem like it had 1.5 gallons left!

Tank size

According to the factory service manual, the GS1100GLZ has a tank capacity of 4.5 gal. including reserve. The reserve capacity is 4.76 quarts (4.5L), or roughly 1.2 gal. US. I don't suppose there are any large dents in it that would reduce capacity, are there?

Comment

Suzuki says...

E.W., Suzuki's own service manual says you have a 4.5 gal (17 Liter) gas tank, which includes reserve. That's the official number. Harsh reality may be something entirely different.

Unfortunately, the "L" model has a notoriously small gas tank, compared to the standard model, which has officially a 5.8 gal tank (22 L). The "L" model looks good, but it's far less desirable for any sort of long-distance, all-day traveling.

Nick

Comment

I agree that the bike could use another gallon to run on. But I love my Suzy!!! And no, the tank does not have any dents. I'm going to Hollister next week and then to Sturgis next month. I guess I'll be stopping for gas more often than my Buddy!!!

Comment

Just as a follow-up...
          I pulled the tank, drained it, put it in the back of my buddy's truck and filled it. I could only put in 4.1 US gals. If that sleeve was removed I probably could get the .4 gallons in.

Comment

I don't know why but it's common that the fuel capacity specs are inaccurate. They can't seem to get the horsepower or weight right either.
            Axel

Comment

GS550L Tank Size

This is my first time on this board. HELLO!

At 45 years old, I purchased my first bike this summer -- a 1983 GS550LD.

I live in a town north of Toronto, and spend most of my time on the bike riding on highways to/from downtown. One of the first things I noticed was the small gas tank size. Yes, my bike looks good, but the aerodynamic tank styling really limits the distance I can ride.... about 150KM per tankfull of gas. I do find this to be a weakness in the design of a "cruiser" bike. I have to plan when I'm going to stop for gas on longer trips. I have added a windshield, saddlebags and a driver's backrest to help with comfort, but would like to be able to cruise the highways without constantly looking at the fuel guage.

Other than carrying an extra tank of gas on the bike, has anyone ever heard of a way to put a larger gas tank on the GS550L?

Thanks, Dave Sansom.

Comment

Working...
              X