Flat Color maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Color maintenance

I just finished repairing my 80 GS11. While waiting for countershaft bearings I decided to start the paint project. Well, after looking at the dramatic effect of the flat black primer with all of the chrome engine covers, etc. I am going to actually paint it flat black. Has anyone ever had a flat paint job? How do you maintain it? i.e. Do you actually wax the flat black surfaces?

Tim

PAint

Most flat black paint and/or stickers will tell you NOT to put wax on it. I think thats because if you put wax on it it wont be flat anymore but have a bit of a shine to it.

Comment

my bike is flat black , when i spill a little gas on the tank it leaves white streaks then i shoot some more flat black to cover it

Comment

thinking about painting the rims red and hanging a rubber chicken from the tail light 8)

Comment

I love that Idea......My ride is a mix of factory black, grey primer, and metallic blue......taillight held on with zip ties!

I was painting it metallic blue but, kid #2 kinda put all projects on hold for a while...

Comment

I'll be shooting Imron. At about 160.00 per quart I don't think i'll be reshooting her every time I get gas spilled on LOL. Thanks for the input guys. Hmmmmmm, maybe the gas tank should be powder coated flat black.

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
              thinking about painting the rims red and hanging a rubber chicken from the tail light 8)
              I STILL DREAM ABOUT PAINTING MY RIMS RICK--WHAT METHOD WILL YOU USE AND what type of pain is in your plan

Comment

i dont know the first thing about painting rims yet, my side panel and rear fender turned out a nice flat black but the tank is kinda shiny i guess cause its metal...ill get pics as soon as my friend gets here with the digital cam.

Comment

This Wizards product is VERY GOOD for matte finishes.
                  Wipe Down™ Matte Paint Detailer Part No. 01220, 22 oz, each or 12/Case. Safe for all paint systems. Quickly cleans matte finishes: suede, denim, satin primer, powder coat and all flat clears. Adds no gloss or protection. Contains no wax, solvents or silicone. Removes dust, fingerprints, road grime and oily residue with

Comment

You can still shoot it with 2k clear. They have a flat, and semi gloss finish in their lineup. Then you wouldn't have to worry about gas, or anything else for that matter. The likely reason for your tank being "shinier" isn't because it's metal, but that is was coated too heavy on the last pass.
                    '83 GS 1100T
                    The Jet

sigpic
                    '95 GSXR 750w
                    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

wth, folks, this thread is from 2002.....
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Zombie thread for October!
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                        X