Improved Handling, GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improved Handling, GS1000G

When I bought this bike the handling could be improved. It just didn't seem to want to behave the way I wanted it.

I noticed that the fork tubes were set as low as possible in the triple trees, the top of the tubes level with the top bracket. So I raised the tubes in the brackets about 5mm and the difference is considerable.

The GS1000G has flatter steering geometry than most of the GS range, where the forks poke out further. This slows up the handling response. The slight alterations I made to the set-up lower the front end by a fraction, but they steepen the rake and alter the steering angles sufficiently to make quite a difference.

I now get better turn in, more noticable counter-steer response, and better handling through corners, both in town and on the highway. The bike is happier leaning over than before and has more control through the corner on throttle on/throttle off cornering (on a shaft drive this can be quite an important element of handling).

If you try this, don't go too far. Test things out and stop when the optimum point is reached. The original angles mean that you will never get sportbike handling (but your footpegs will last the distance) and this mod is for fine tuning only.

Kim
Working...
X