Bye Bye Exhaust Can!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye Bye Exhaust Can!

My Brother n law and our buddy Dean who both own GS1150EFs went for a long ride. We toured the back highways of Manitoba looking for some twisties (hahahaha)

Well when we came back into town Dean saw this bolt come off my bike and pulled me over. We checked the whole front off the bike and couldn't figure out were it came from, so Dean tossed it aside.

I pulled out of the gas station first and walked on the throttle, all of a sudden my ass end jumps up a bit and the bike sounds like a D9 cat with no muffler.

First thing comes to my mind "AHHHH SH*T I just blew another motor!" I look into the mirror to see whats behind me. Dean and Stacy have stopped in the middle of the road pointing at some thing. I look down to see how much smoke is coming out of my exhaust only to see the can is gone. I coast to a stop and look closer to see that indeed the motor is fine just my exhast can was gone.

Stacy gets my can off the road and dean runs back to find the bolt. While we were waiting for the exhaust to cool a gentlemen in a car pulled up. He got out and was amazed to see 3 GS1150EF's together in one spot. It turns out he used to own one and was wondering if one of ours was it. None of them were. He see's the problem we are having and overes to take the can back to the house in his trunk if we want.

So I drive my canless bike the 10 blocks to Stacy's house to fix it. On the way there I pull up to a guy on a HD with his woman at a lite. He looks over and gives me one of thoose smug looks and then revs his some what loud motor. Well I decided to let let out a few revs of my own. The look on his face was well worth the can coming off when my GS was twice as loud as his HD.

Any way the can is back on and all is working fine. Just a couple of minor scrapes on the can but I can live with that.

Cans on a string.....

Hmmmmmm...
    Reminds me of my first bike...a 75 GT-500 Titan. I was experimenting with my interpretation of an expansion chamber. I thought I had gotten it right simply pull all the baffles out of the large chrome pipes, seemed like a volume close to an expansion chamber, then I'd just stick a long piece of pipe halfway down the "chamber".
    Fine I thought , sounded right, but I didn't secure it good enough (weld?..Naa!) coming back from the coast I notice a scrapping sound & turned to see my "stinger" pipe pulled out & dragging on the ground!
    It wasn't correct, right, of the correct design as two months later it overheated & siezed the motor with typical Two-stroke results.
    Rick.......

Comment

We've all seen the bumper sticker

Beware parts may fall off at any time.

Comment

Hey Hank you gotta admit these 1150's snarl reeaaall nice unmuffled.
        Come to think of it they snarl pretty nice with one too if you give 'em some stick.
        Dink

Comment

Working...
        X