'81 gs850L sissy bar where can i get one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 gs850L sissy bar where can i get one

I bought this bike few months back and my wife likes to ride but would like a sissy bar and I can not find any parts for a bike of this age where do you get them

Go to a salvage yard. Thats what I had to do. I walked in and told the guy what I wanted. He opened a door and said go have fun. A couple hours of trial fitting and I had one that worked. Bar, rack, pad and little zip pocket on the back for $15.00. It was worth the effort.

Comment

sounds easey

That was my attempt but the salvage yards around here have no such thing I found lots of salvage yards on the internet but found no response tried using the partsfinder.com no help

Comment

make it?

I made my last two sissy bars...They may not be as nice as you want, but, they do the job [keep the wife from leaving in a moment of my forgetfulness...] Just used some 3/4" plywood, cut to the shape that struck my fancy, put some foam on it, covered it with some black vinyl held in place with upholstry tacks and mounted it to the grab bar...I'd like to spend a coupla hundred dollars on a custom made by the local custom maker...but, just ain't got the time to wait.

Comment

Have you looked on eBay lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay B
            Go to a salvage yard. . Bar, rack, pad and little zip pocket on the back for $15.00. It was worth the effort.
            Jay, I think you got a great deal!.

I have the same problem in my area. The yards want $60 minimum, for the rack alone, and then it's not in great shape. Even so, I can't find one that fits, mostly because of the rise needed. They are all too low.

I just bought a tall universal rack off Ebay, but don't have it yet. I have a sissy bar that can probably be adapted.

Otherwise I will give up searching and make the whole thing. It will just have to be painted, instead of chrome.

Horseplay, Don't know where you are, but if there are few salvage places near you, Ebay is always a good place to look. It may take time, though, and you may have to look at bars that need to be modified to fit your bike or, as Katsrat suggested, make your own.
            Good luck.
            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Dont forget to check the Parts for Sale section and put an add in the Parts wnated section on this site. Never can tell someone may have one and see your message.

Comment

Ron,
                I think I got the deal cause I get alot of stuff from this place and they aren't making that much money on alot of this. I have went there to check for parts for others and the guy has seen my bike. They get most of their money from their new parts and shop work so the other can stuff slide out pretty cheap. I didn't think of this before but they have a whole large room full of fairing parts so I will be heading there this week to see if I can replace what I need to on that fairing that was just given to me.

Comment

Jay:
                  I saw a previous post recommending you get the taller size shield. You're taller than me, so that's probably a very good idea.

Despite my size (5-7+) I sit with my eyes just above the shield on the Windjammer IV. I really like it that way as I get no wind in the face, and have unrestricted vision. In case of rain, the visor on the helmet gets pulled down.
                  Unfortunately, bugs have a clear shot at me, and their aim is often quite accurate. 8O

Both the shield and the visor are treated with RainX. I think it was Dink who suggested it let more water land in his lap, when on the shield, but I tried it on the shield and the visor. He is probably right, but I have no regrets. I like this stuff.

Re your fairing...you already know this, but I'll say it anyway because others will read the post and may be doing the same as you....be sure the headlight unit has a replaceable bulb, so you can put in a halogen unit.
                  "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Arizona

If you ever make it to Arizona,, there's a salvage yard in south Phoenix, Bob's,, that has about 1000 sissybars hanging together.. Just drive in on your bike and find one that fits!

Of course he has about 10,000 bikes in this yard! Biggest one i ever saw!

Comment

Ya know I know a Burris in that area I wonder if your related.

Comment

Working...
                      X