Brakes! DUMB LUCK!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes! DUMB LUCK!!!!!!

Yesterday after replacing my front brake master cylinder (1979 1000SN), I was having a heck of a time getting the brakes bled. Went to the automotive store and contemplated buying a vacuum device to assist since my sons were too fed up to help. Well the cost was prohibitive. 75 dollars! To make a long story short, I found a 35cc irrigation syringe in the bathroom closet. Hooked my bleeder hose up and pulled what looked like foam through until I got clear fluid. Brakes are up and running.

Total cost, I checked this morning with my HMO and found I can get more for 3 bucks apiece! Why pay 75 when this does the same thing. Hope it helps someone out!

My wife is a nurse so I gt them for free. Just like when I sync my carbs I didn't pay $35.00 for some hanging fuel container.

Comment

For temp Fuel tank..

For a temp Fuel tank when testing and working on carbs etc, I went to the local Lawnmower shop and asked to buy a used Fuel tank with a 1/4 inch nipple on it. They gave me one that I tiewrap in place and works great. I use small vice grips to turn off the flow when un-needed.

As for the Break bleeding check out this url for bleeders with a spring loaded ball in them for quick easy one man break bleeding. Way Cool and $14 pair.
      Speed Bleeder, Speedbleeder, SB1010, SB1010-SS, SB1010S, SB1010S-B, SB1010S-SS, SB10125, SB10125-SS, SB1015, SB1015-SS, SB8125LL, SB8125LL-SS, SB8125L, SB8125L-SS, SB8125, SB8125-SS, SB8100, SB8100-SS, SB7100, SB7100-SS, SB7100S, SB7100S-SS, SB6100, SB6100-SS, SB71624L, SB71624, SB71620, SB71620-SS, SB3824L, SB3824HD, SB3824HD-SS, SB3824, SB3824-SS, SB51624L, SB51624L-SS, SB51624, SB1428, SB1428-SS, brakes, bled, bleed, racing brake bleeder, automotive bleeder screw, bleeding motorcycle brakes, hydraulic, master cylinder, master cylinder bleeder kit, automobiles, car, cars, motorcycles, atv, 4wheeler, 4x4, dirt bike, screw, vent screw, bleed nipple, bleed valve, bleeding brakes, bleed brakes, bleeder thread pitch, trucks, screws, bleeder, wilwood, performace machine, stoptech, girling, brembo, ford, chevy, dodge, chrysler, pontiac, bmw, suzuki, mg, nissan, subaru, miata, RAM trucks, RAM, datsun, acura, fiat, gmc, chevrolet, buick, harley davidson, honda, kawasaki, yamaha, polaris, ducati, can-am, canam, triumph

Comment

hanging fuel tank for carb sink

I found when i sink the carbs that one of those big plastic funnells that has a cap on both ends works great .hook a clear fueline up to your carbs and to the bottom of funel ( dont forget to hose clamp the fuelline to the funnell)l so you can see if it runs dry, un screw the top cover ,wire tie it to your handlebars add gas ,put cover on and your ready to go for $2.99 They are available at most parts stores. you will get about ten minutes run time with each fueling.

Comment

The only thing to keep in mind when bleeding brakes in this fashion is something called 'cavitation'. It's a phenom that occurs when pulling, rather than pushing a liquid. It causes air bubbles to form in the liquid when too much reverse pressure is applied. (It's also what causes air bubbles to appear in the bathtub when you move your hand through the water quickly). Nice job on the syringe - I never thought of that.

Comment

The syringes also work good for adding water to the battery 8)

Comment

As for sincronizing carbs,I put my tank on the workmate and connect my 2' fuel/vacuum extension lines. KK.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I regularly use a syringe that I bought at NAPA for bleeding master cylinders. Fill it up with brake fluid and put its hose on the bleeder at the caliper and push it in.

It always made more sense to push bubbles of air to the top, than trying to get them to swim downstream to exit the bleeder valve...

Comment

One of my buddies uses an oil can. You know the kind that you pull the handle with a couple of fingers and it squirts oil out. Add some rubber line on the end and then hook the other end to the bleeder.

Comment

Bleeding Brakes

These are all good inexpensive ideas. Wish this forum had been up and running when I attacked this problem. I kind of went over the top in my solution.

One of my sons had a toy, like a Stretch Armstrong, only this toy had a little hand vaccum pump that you used to suck the air out of the man, or monster, or what ever that thing was. I used the vaccum pump and a pint fruit jar for a reservoir. I cut two holes in the jar lid and solidered two short pieces of copper pipe in the holes. One piece of the copper tube is longer, the input side, and the other shorter side is the vaccum pump attachment. Connected it with fuel line and started sucking. The whole system was purged in about two minutes. Took about two hours to build the sucker system and I had to replace the monster toy with an El Camino, but hey, I didn't have to spend $30 on a regulary bleeding tool.

Comment

Re: For temp Fuel tank..

Originally posted by GKGuy
                      For a temp Fuel tank when testing and working on carbs etc, I went to the local Lawnmower shop and asked to buy a used Fuel tank with a 1/4 inch nipple on it. They gave me one that I tiewrap in place and works great. I use small vice grips to turn off the flow when un-needed.

As for the Break bleeding check out this url for bleeders with a spring loaded ball in them for quick easy one man break bleeding. Way Cool and $14 pair.
                      http://www.speedbleeder.com/
                      Did you use the speed bleeders. Is it one size fits all for Suzukis? I couldn't tell by their website if that was the case or not.

I will say it looks like a great product.

Comment

I bought a set of speed bleeders for the front and rear, it makes bleeding the brakes a snap. Easy to install and operate, Highly recommended product and only 7 bucks a piece. Ride on.

Comment

i used a syringe (5 cc) as a master cylinder for several months until i found a suitable reservoir for the GSXR master cylinder that i installed on my 750 81. it fits real tight into the brake hose coming out of the master cylinder. i must say the syringe got lots of strange looks! but it kept me up and riding.

Comment

use a empty brake fluid bottle and a hose. put about 1/4 inch of brake fluid in the bottom. then drill a hole in the top put the hose thru. pump brakes. add fluid to master cylender. when you have filled it twice remove lid with hose. when all the bubbles have settled out of the empty bottle witch should be about 1/2 to 3/4 full pump brakes if you see more bubbles, repeat till bubbles stop.

meed to add you must keep the hose in the brake fluid.

Comment

As far as the speed bleeders go, one size does not fit all. I bought a set of Goodridge speed bleeders for my GS1100, while they were the correct diameter and thread, they were too short, they wouldn't bottom out to stop the flow of brake fluid.
                              Doze.

Comment

Working...
                              X