Wiseco Piston Kit Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiseco Piston Kit Query

I have asked this question before, so apologies if you've seen it already. Thought I'd try a different forum. This is for all of you who have a GS1000 with a 1085 kit:

I have fitted a 1085 Wiseco kit to my GS1000, and my question is: Is there anyone else out there who has done this and have they noticed any unusal noises afterwards?
    I have had the kit in for 8000 miles now. Before that I had the same pistons fitted in a different engine(different block) and did 6000 miles on them.
    The engine runs well, pulls like a train and burns no oil. However I get a slight knock from about 2500 rpm to 3500 rpm which gets better as the engine gets warm. This noise also occurred in the first engine.
    Its fairly quiet and the nearest thing I can compare it to is a small end bearing gone. I didn't notice any problems with any of the bearings when rebuilding.
    I am not too concerned, but I have heard that this noise is because the forged Wiseco pistons run bigger clearances and what I am hearing is in effect piston slap.
    Hence why it gets quieter when the engine heats up.
    Can anyone who's had a Wiseco kit verify this?

On a similar subject I have acquired a Yoshi 1085 (73mm bore) kit which has 3 ring pistons and I believe a 11.5:1 comp ratio.I am thinking of fitting this to my other GS1000. Is there anyone out there who's fitted one of these kits and can thay recommend it?

Thanks for your patience and help.

:mrgreen:

Well, I can't say I have any experience with either of these kits, as I just bought my gs1000 motor and still need to "beef it up..." but if you send it to me I'll use it for you.

Comment

Yeah, great idea, then you could........hey......wait a minute!!!!

Doh, you nearly got me there! Shucks! :roll:

Having read loads on the net I am now satisfied that my noise is normal forged piston stuff. :P

Comment

I run a 1085 MTC kit in my 78 GS, can't say the noises are unusual, byut then I have bumpy cams so it is a bit more mechanical. They have been in 18 years or so, so no reliabiltiy problems.

I knew someone who had a wiseco kit some years ago, no real unusual noises. These motors have noises that are fatal in newer bikes....just enjoy the music!

Comment

Agreed. I have stripped GS engines in the past which have numerous rattles and clunks, and have measured and inspected every part (I used to work on piston engines in the RAF) and found everything within spec, no measureable wear.
          Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by brit7.11
            Agreed. I have stripped GS engines in the past which have numerous rattles and clunks, and have measured and inspected every part (I used to work on piston engines in the RAF) and found everything within spec, no measureable wear.
            Thanks for the input.
            maybe we should have a contest to see who can describe the most annoying strange and confusing sounds that come from our gs motors 8)

Comment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
              maybe we should have a contest to see who can describe the most annoying strange and confusing sounds that come from our gs motors 8)
              Mine is that deep rumbling noise that is always behind me...no, wait, that is the refried beans I ate last night!

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
                Mine is that deep rumbling noise that is always behind me...no, wait, that is the refried beans I ate last night!

Hap
                THIS MEXICAN FOOD IS TOUGH ON YOUR INNARDS AS WE ALL HAVE COME TO HEAR

Comment

piston kit

hi Brit you ask if anyone recommend a Yosh piston kit .my opinion is there are terrible and please send it to me immediately so you wont have to bear the burdon of owning it

Comment

I will take your advice under ...erm... advisement.

Comment

Try taking off the stock automatic cam chain tensioner and replacing it with a manual cam tensioner, makes a world of difference.

Andre

Comment

Dr Dre, you got me interested, tell me more!

Comment

When you start performance mods, the first thing to get rid of is the automatic cam chain tensioner. The rear cam chain guide will force the spring back under high load or pressure, resulting in noise, loss of power, and improper crankshaft to camshaft timing. It is a $40 dollar part and it is easy to set. You turn the motor clockwise by hand from the pickup side; to remove the slack from the rear cam chain guide. Then turn the adjuster in until it touches the rear guide; back it off a 1/2 turn and lock it in place with the set nut.

Here is a link to a pic:

Comment

Hi Brit.

I have a GS 1000 with a Wiseco 1100 kit in it, and no unusual noises at all. I certianly back up what that other guy said about the manual cam chain tensioner APE do one (I have this). Also you can get a beefed up rear tensioner guide that is so much better than the origional. My guess would be cam chain noise, the big pistons shouyldn't make any diference. A hint though, Wiseco claim around 10.5 : 1 for their kits. Load of rubbish. Should read about 9:1. If you skim the head, you can get some nice cheap horsepower, and real low down (read wheelstand) grunt. Add a set of 33mm Keihin Smoothbores and you really cook.

Currently my GS (race bike) is putting out 126hp at the rear wheel according to the dyno, but that is with flowed head, cams, 11:1 compression, 35mm smoothies, web cams, 4:1. Front whel comes up in first and second though!

Let me know if you want any details.

Cheers,

Smithy, Auckland, NZ.

Comment

I have a similar setup, but still have 28mm carbs on. Should have bought those smoothbores years ago.........

As it is, road manners are good with the smaller carbs, so I am happy enough

Comment

Working...
                              X