header for a 85 gs 700esf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

header for a 85 gs 700esf

if any owners of the 84-85 gs700esf need a header but cant find one hers a solution. vance and hines untill recently (july 2002) used to still make one to fit our bikes but it has been discontinued so this is what i did, i ordered a MAC header for an 83 gs750 when you get the header you will have to take an air grinder and remove the lip that is on the end (the part that goes onto the cylinder head) if you dont the pipe will not fit because its just a tad and i mean a tad to fat to fit inside the exaust portafter you do that make your self a gasket for a nice air tight fit and you are in business. i just done this to mine and it is a perfect fit if you dont have the equiptment then just take to your local motercycle garage and have them remove the lip and fix you up a set of 4 gaskets they only need to be about 1/8 inch thick and your in business. the part number for the header is MAC HEADER part number 03-0661. im not sure if this works with any other brands but it will with this mac. if anyone needs help or has feedback just post a reply GOOD LUCK

It's nice to see someone else out there with a 700E that wants to do upgrades. Once I get mine running again I want to start doing something to it. Where do you find MAC headers and what did you pay for them. I would love to put some more tire on the back, but that would require a new swing arm, tire, adjusting the chain out and the brake probably a ton more. I have an ideas just need the money.

Comment

order you a free catalog from dennis kirk *thats the name of the company* or just look it up on the internet they also have jet kits for the 700es from dynojet and high flow replacment air filters. the mac pipe doesnt flow as good as kerker or vance and hines but it is alot better than stock and it sounds a hell of alot better too, im also going to try the same thing with a vance and hines supersport pipe in a bout a month ill keep you posted and yea it is a shame they quit making alot of things for this bike mine is assume i just wish that i could perk it up just a yad bit more but ill post what i do as i go along

Comment

Check my old GS700e out, it maybe of some, helphttp://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/viewtopic.php?t=1785&start=30

Comment

Inexpensive but effective fix on the rear tire size is to find an 85-86 GS 1150 rear rim which is 3.5 in. and will accept a 140 rear tire. I run the Dunlop 591R. All stock sprockets and chain will fit and the wheel pattern is the same as my original stock one. Picked the rim up years ago for about $50.

Comment

If grinding the lip from the 83 header will make it work... then you can use a header from an 81 also. I have an 83 GS750 that has a very slightly ground down 81 header on it. The other amazing thing is that the 83 rear pipe slips and fits perfectly on the 81 header.

So if any of you guys want the rear part of a V&H exhaust off an 81 GS750, let me know.

Comment

Working...
            X