Stator and RR issues solved.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator and RR issues solved.

Connect the positive leads and negative leads from battery directly to the harness coming out off the RR in there appropriate spots. No more concerns about bad grounds and connections taking out the RR.

Has this been confirmed?

Comment

Sounds like another jumper cable story to me :?

Comment

So I shouldn't trust it, eh?

Comment

why do they die? from bad grounds and/or electrical connections in general?

Comment

My Clymer manual for the GS850-1100 has the following note on the first page of the Electrical System chapter:
            "On some GS models the regulator/rectifier is grounded with a black/white wire that attaches to the rubber mounted battery box. If this grounded circuit fails, the result will be no charging system output. To ensure that the regulator/rectifier is properly grounded, cut the eyelet off the wire, solder a length of wire to the cut wire and ground the regulator/rectifier directly to the negative battery terminal."
            This makes it pretty clear that one of the problems with the original design is a poor grounding method.

Comment

I had a look at my 650 and the reg/rect is grounded to rubber gromet on bottum of the battery box then theres a wire from that to negative terminal, as it sonly has 3700km on the bike and it looks orginal im gunna have to say mine came from factory like that.

Comment

The ground needs to go direct to the battery. The reg also should be hooked direct to the stator bypassing the light switch circuit

Comment

Are there diagrams describing this process for the less electronically gifted among us?

Comment

Trying to make it simple There are three stator wires two of them go direct to the reg. The third stator wire goes into the harness and to the light switch and back down to the reg. Take the third wire and disconnect it from the harness, locate the third stator wire at the reg and disconnect it and connect it to the stator direct This by passes the light switch, having the third leg of the stator connected at all times Theory is that the extra resistance of going thru the switch or not having any load on the stator can cause the stator to overheat also it makes the system more reliable. Yes if you can go ahead and solder the stator wires direct to the reg eliminating the failure prone plugs

Comment

Thanks. I actually understand that one. I even managed to find my R/R! Now if only I could find the stator, I'd be a happy man.

Unfortunately I don't see anything in that general region that looks anything like the pics I see on denniskirk, bikebandit, jcwhitney...

And believe it or not, I've been known to do a fair amount of soldering in my time!

I'm gonna go take some more stuff apart.

Comment

The stator is inside the engine, under the left cover. Unless you're superman you won't be able to see it.

Steve

Comment

Under the clutch cover?

Comment

no in front left side should be a small round cover look under it

Comment

Does it say "Suzuki" on it?

Comment

Working...
                              X