how hard is it to take the baffling out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how hard is it to take the baffling out

how hard is it to the take baffling out off the exsaust pipes.
    and i need a set off new ones to try it out on for a GS650 1982

exaust

Maybe I didnt explain myself before with your holes thread. Removng the restriction is the easy bit, you could cut a access hole, or force a big drill bit and drill out the baffle plates from the rear of the silencers, or poke a big rod down and just knock holes in them...Forgive me for being verbose hereon in...
    BUT .. if you remove the restriction, the motor airflow will flow more freely, and as a result consume more air for the same engine revs (hence more power if the ratios are corrected by jetting) . The carburettors wont know about this extra flow, and supply the pre freeflow amount of fuel. This will make the petrol/air mixture weaker (more oxygen than air (there is a ideal ratio that you need to aim for)) which will make it burn hotter. The motor will be affected by this heat, and maybe you might melt a exaust valve, or melt a hole in the piston. It wont be as powerfull with more flow but a incorrect mixture as with a restricted flow but correct mixture.
    To correct this, you will have to change the amount of fuel going into the motor in a given time. This is done by altering some size or parameter, and this is where it gets complicated, you see, different things in the carburettors change the ratio at different throttle openings.
    So, you usually end up with a motor that hasnt got correct fuel air mixture at certain rev ranges and will run like crap then suddenly work fine as the revs build.
    Throw into the pot the fact that reading the correct mixture either uses a air/fuel meter or
    lots of plug chops that are difficult to do properly to measure it, its a lot of work for some extra noise.

Are you sure your mechanical ability is up to this? Id hate for someone to wreck a motor just to make a bit more noise. If you want to go ahead, id suggest at least reading about dynojet rejetting kits, theyre not cheap but theyve done a lot of research for you....

Comment

Working...
    X