solvent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solvent?

My manual says to use solvent to clean just about everthing. I'm trying to tune my bike up but i dont know what kind of solvent to get, can someone suggest what i should use adn where to pick it up? Thanks

Jeff

just use simple green or orange tko

Comment

Simple Green seems to do most things. On the other hand---- The Koot Scoot gets cleaned when it rains. Not too much lately, but it still looks good. Once in a while I will take it to a car wash with the coin op high pressure hand jet. Once when I start in the spring, and once in the fall. Too much cleaning and it might fall apart!

Comment

If they're talking about greasy bits, by solvent they likely mean varsol or generic "automotive parts cleaner", both high flash point solvents that won't explode like gasoline. Kerosene will work too, and is the only reasonably priced solvent I've seen that is recommended for cleaning o-ring chains. For small jobs I use WD-40 or silicone spray. Be careful around any paint. If you use a pressure washer at home or the car wash, be certain not to spray near the wheel hubs (and I'd be careful around any rubber seals at the engine: shifter, etc.) so you don't ruin your wheel bearings.

Comment

Pressure washing and wheel bearings? I have heard this one before. If wheel bearings cannot withstand pressure washing how will they stand the pressure washing that comes when riding from water thrown up by the wheels, and other traffic? The chance of getting the pressure nozzle right on the bearing is remote, and if the seals do leak then its time to replace them. I know some of the "Show and Shine" folks will only hand wash everything. A lot of them trailer their bikes too! Mine is for riding, as I suspect most of the GSers are too. A quick wave of the car wash wand and back on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbel
            If wheel bearings cannot withstand pressure washing how will they stand the pressure washing that comes when riding from water thrown up by the wheels, and other traffic?
            You wash yours? I thought you were a purist! But seriously, even my cheapo 1300 psi pressure washer is far more powerful than road spray, and I live in Vancouver, where we know a thing or two about water on the road.

Comment

I dunno man, it does rain pretty hard out here at times, heh, heh.8)
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I would be careful with Simple Green. I used it to clean a motor once and soon after that the oil pan gasket started leaking. The motor didn't have and leaks before that and I was just cleaning off 8 years of normal dirt. MAybe the gasket was going anyway and I just missed it but I'm a little careful with that stuff now.

Comment

just use

just use brake parts cleaner itle take that grime off

Comment

Re: just use

Originally posted by carl
                    just use brake parts cleaner itle take that grime off
                    I would be real careful about doing that. The brake cleaner I have says "protect rubber parts". Who knows what it would do to gaskets. Doesn't it remove paint to some degree?
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Yeah Jay, I tried simple green to degrease the engine when I got the bike and it left white "scorch" marks on all the aluminum. I had a devil of a time polishing out the blemishes. Thankfully, it caused no leaks. I've changed my cleaner to liquid joy as that removes grease and grunge and seems much more bike friendly.

Earl

Originally posted by Jay B
                      I would be careful with Simple Green. I used it to clean a motor once and soon after that the oil pan gasket started leaking. The motor didn't have and leaks before that and I was just cleaning off 8 years of normal dirt. MAybe the gasket was going anyway and I just missed it but I'm a little careful with that stuff now.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Try a mild detergent on most of the stuff. I use a weak dish soap solution (Liquid Joy) also. For really grungy bits use carb cleaner but only on metal parts. Save the brake cleaner for the brakes.

Pressure washing is great for the serious road/oil goo but be xtra carefull where you're spraying. Spraying up under the side panels never seems to work out really well

Comment

I use Westley's car wash soap to clean the general surfaces of the bike. I hear that dishwashing soaps aren't good to use because they remove the wax. That matters if you wax your bike.

For cleaning/polishing up aluminum I use Mother's or Semichrome polish. For cleaning up grease or oil I use kerosene. It works especially good on chain-lubbed rims or grungy engines, it isn't highly destructive or flammable and it doesn't leave those burn marks in aluminum that Earl mentioned.

As for the manual saying use a solvent to clean everything, I'm not sure I go along with that. You want to use the least destructive cleaner that gets the job done. Solvents will melt plastics or rubber - not good if working on carbs. So I don't agree with a one size fits all approach.

--- Frank ---

Comment

If you want to use a solvent for cleaning, go to Home Depot, Lowes, or a similar store and pick up mineral spirits. It will not attack plastics, paint, or rubber parts. It has a fairly high flash point, but it is flammable, so some common sense precautions must be taken. It can be mixed with Liquid Joy if you want something that will remove built up grease and still be rinsed off with water. It works well if you want to remove sticker adhesive from painted surfaces or plastic. If you are working on plastics, stay away from alcohols, they can embrittle some plastics.
                            JP
                            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                            1992 Concours
                            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                            2007 FJR

Comment

Working...
                            X