do you gs guys like choppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you gs guys like choppers

i was going to turn my 82 GGS650 into an old school chopper what do all you guys think of this idea
    a harly rider well kick you ass but suzuki rider will sue you.

If you want a loud, obnoxious, ill-handling, rough-riding, wannabe Hardley, go for it!

Comment

do you gs guys like choppers?

No.

Comment

nah choppers are for harleys, turn the gs into a streetfighter!

Comment

I can appreciate the work that goes into a 70s world style chopper, Hard tail or soft tail, but having ridden a few, "Harley and Triumph" I can tell ya unless you get the geometry correct, it will handle like crap! :x Check out the newest issue of Motorcyclist magazine. There is a small write up about a custom chopper built around a modern Honda straight 4 engine. They say the same thing, handling can suffer if not done right. I believe this steering difficulty is the reason why most choppers have those Ape Hanger handlebars. More leverage for the rider.

Good luck with it but if I were you, I'd start with a parts bike and start from that frame instead of taking a perfectly good running bike apart and chopping into it!
          My two cents worth!
          GY

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
            do you gs guys like choppers?

No.
            HERE I GO AGREEING WITH THE CONSERVATIVE CROWD AGAIN

I JUST WANTED TO ADD THAT I DESTROYED A FINE MOTORCYCLE WITH APE HANGERS--BOBBED FENDERS-- SCREWED UP FRONT WHEEL AND THE LIKE--I WAS ONLY 19 AND CAN STILL REMEMBER RIDING WITH A PACK ON THE PENN TURNPIKE AND CURSING THE HANDLEBARS BECAUSE THE MANDITORY UPRIGHT POSITION OF MY ARMS TURNED ME INTO A SAIL AND THE WIND BLEW THE BIKE ALL OVER THE PLACE. WHENEVER WE HIT 80 MPH THE CLUTCH BROKE LOOSE-IT NEVER DID IT WITH THE STANDARD SETUP

Comment

PUKE

Comment

Personally I do not like choppers.

But what it comes down to is it's your bike, do what you want to with it.

Comment

Personally, I like the choppers, but forget the ape-hangers.

Comment

I LOVE OLD HARLEY PAN & SHOVEL CHOPS BUT WITH MINI APES, NOT THOSE 16IN. TALL APES...RODE MY COUSINS 74 SUPERGLIDE WITH THE 16`S MAN IT WAS WEIRD.

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
                      I LOVE OLD HARLEY PAN & SHOVEL CHOPS BUT WITH MINI APES, NOT THOSE 16IN. TALL APES...RODE MY COUSINS 74 SUPERGLIDE WITH THE 16`S MAN IT WAS WEIRD.
                      WHEN I WAS ABOUT 25 I WAS ASKED BY A FRIEND OF MINE TO DEMONSTRATE HIS MODIFIED SPORTY TO A POTENTIAL BUYER--THE SPORTY HAD 24" RUBBER MOUNTED APE HANGERS--MYBUDDY WAS 6' 4" TALL AND DIDNT EVEN NOTICE THEM BUT I AM 5' 3" TALL AND WAS GRABBING THE SKY AS I RODE IT---I TURNED IT ON AND WHEN I PULLED A HARD SECOND GEAR I WENT INTO THE WILDEST WHEELIE OF MY LIFE--I NEVER DO WHEELIES--IT LUCKILY CAME BACKDOWN EVENTUALLY AND I NEVER TOLD ANY ONE IT WAS AN ACCIDENT(IT WAS NICE LOOKING COOL FOR A CHANGE ))
                      NO MORE APE HANGERS FOR ME, I'LL STICK WITH A 6 OR 8 INCH RISE ON THE HANDLE BARS

Comment

I like bikes....

After that they just come in order of preference for owning or riding....

Comment

Chopper me LIKE IT!

I own a 85GS550L that wasn't running and i bought it from a friend...got it running and chopped the frame.

Looks pretty cool, low and hard to ride :twisted:

Comment

Choppers are not a favorite of mine but I can understand the appeal of them and appreciate the work that goes into a well designed and well executed chopper. If it is what you like - Do it!

Hap

Comment

sure choppers are cool but how could you get a nice v-twin sound out of a 4 banger.
                              Of course it dosesnt have to sound like a hog. 8)
                              jus850

Comment

Working...
                              X