i need more umph (85 gs 700es)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i need more umph (85 gs 700es)

my bike is basic stock exept for a mac header (by the way it flows alot better than stock but as far as other headers its not up to par what is it?)but i want more response and some more torque the bike runs perfect but ive rode 600's that when you get on the gas the bike feels like its rising up and ready to luanch but not this 700 dont get me wrong it pulls but it seems dissapointing for a 700. im thinking about some individuall air filters or a diffrent sprocket but i still want a better luanch and top end. and by the way does anybody know if i can put a diffrent slip on or a vance and hinds megaphone onto the front piece of my mac header(is it a two piece like the mac is?)

Keep in mind our GS's are old, based on old 1970's technology. Modern-day 600's are based on much newer technology, and therefore produce substantially more horsepower.

If you want more "oomph", then I'll go with the old adage, "There's no substitute for cubic inches." Get a GS1100E -- that will give you "oomph". Don't try to turn your GS700 into something it's not.

Advice from the conservative wing of the GS party.

Nick

Comment

after you soup the 700 up etc you will have many days when you wish it were stock again--it is often cheaper to look for a used e model than to start screwing with the engine--in order to get the bike to really perform it takes a bit nore than a few
      of the easy bolt on tricks to make truly measurable performance gains--enjoy the sanity and consistancy of a stocker

Comment

need more oomph

thanks guys sounds like good advice just seems a shame nobody really carries anything for this particular model anymore( I did find a jet kit at dennis kirk though) i just remember back in 85 i had a 83 yamaha seca 550 that ran really hard(i was 16 back then) and came across some of these bikes and they seemed to have plenty of power and i had a cousin with a gs 550 that was an absolute brute its what he first started racing the quareter mile with. im not looking for nothing outragous i just wont to make sure when im out with the guys that have the newer stuff that i can at least keep up, thanks

Comment

Re: need more oomph

Originally posted by suchaman
          thanks guys sounds like good advice just seems a shame nobody really carries anything for this particular model anymore( I did find a jet kit at dennis kirk though) i just remember back in 85 i had a 83 yamaha seca 550 that ran really hard(i was 16 back then) and came across some of these bikes and they seemed to have plenty of power and i had a cousin with a gs 550 that was an absolute brute its what he first started racing the quareter mile with. im not looking for nothing outragous i just wont to make sure when im out with the guys that have the newer stuff that i can at least keep up, thanks
          Another thought
          IMHO a bike wit 700cc is never a slouch--perhaps you should spend some time seeing if all systems are up to specs

Comment

As much as I like my '83 GS750es(close cousin to your '85) it is no match for a modern 600, but it's not a slouch. Something to remember '83 750 about 75 hp and about 500lbs wet. New 600...100+HP about 400lbs. Yeah when I was 16 and the earth was cooling off I rode a 250cc Yamaha and if was realllllllllllllly fast compared to my previous Honda 90.

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
              As much as I like my '83 GS750es(close cousin to your '85) it is no match for a modern 600, but it's not a slouch. Something to remember '83 750 about 75 hp and about 500lbs wet. New 600...100+HP about 400lbs. Yeah when I was 16 and the earth was cooling off I rode a 250cc Yamaha and if was realllllllllllllly fast compared to my previous Honda 90.
              Dan
              maybe thats why my bike gets slower no matter what i do to make it faster

Comment

And I thought it was because of all the burittos you've been eating.

Comment

need more umph

well what mods do you guys have on your 750's and 850's and what do you think about that jet kit i found on dennis kirk for my bike its supposed to be a real mild kit also here in cincy its hot as hell during the summer the last couple of weeks (more like month and a half) its been 95 plus degrees can anybody recommend a good oil cooler

Comment

mods

Well Ive got efi and a turbo :twisted:

Comment

Re: mods

Originally posted by MrFluffy
                      Well Ive got efi and a turbo :twisted:
                      THATS A MOD THAT WILL GIVE ANY BIKE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS-- WHAT DOES IT DO ON THE DYNO WITH THAT MODIFICATION??? I CERTANTLY HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT TURBO CHARGING WHEN I MADE MY COMMENT ABOUT MODIFYING A 700cc

Comment

Re: need more umph

well what mods do you guys have on your 750's and 850's and what do you think about that jet kit i found on dennis kirk for my bike its supposed to be a real mild kit also here in cincy its hot as hell during the summer the last couple of weeks (more like month and a half) its been 95 plus degrees can anybody recommend a good oil cooler
                        On my '83 GS750es I have a 4-1 with a stage 3 jet kit. Minor improvement. On my 7/1100 GS, I have 4-1 V&H pipe. You should have an oil cooler on your '85 GS700. :?

Comment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
                          THATS A MOD THAT WILL GIVE ANY BIKE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS-- WHAT DOES IT DO ON THE DYNO WITH THAT MODIFICATION??? I CERTANTLY HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT TURBO CHARGING WHEN I MADE MY COMMENT ABOUT MODIFYING A 700cc
                          Ive not had it on a dyno yet, but when my shiney new homebrew efi computer kit arrives Ill be assembling it and doing some dyno runs to set up the fuel maps. What a deal that was, $120, and some soldering and I get to do my jetting with a laptop. I hate changing jets in carburettors....

Comment

Originally posted by MrFluffy
                            Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
                            Ive not had it on a dyno yet, but when my shiney new homebrew efi computer kit arrives Ill be assembling it and doing some dyno runs to set up the fuel maps. What a deal that was, $120, and some soldering and I get to do my jetting with a laptop. I hate changing jets in carburettors....
                            I'd like to hear more about this. What sort of homebrew efi kit did you get? Where did you get it from? Same questions for the turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by R-Tru-D2
                              I'd like to hear more about this. What sort of homebrew efi kit did you get? Where did you get it from? Same questions for the turbo.
                              The efi is cobbled together from gpz750turbo throttle bodies, injectors, plenum chamber and pressurized pipework, and tps sensor, a aftermarket fuel pump, homemade adjustable pressure regulator and im in the process of replacing the (unreprogrammable) gpz efi computer with a megasquirt.

Turbo wise, I was using a hitachi ht10b, again from a gpz turbo, but ive taken my gs out to 850 since and the lil ol hitachi doesnt reliably flow enough air for the bigger motor, so ive moved over to a garret t2, headers are homemade based round the gpz turbo ones but with the fittings to suit the t2. Most of the problems are from low oil pressure. Hope to solve this finally with a morgo crank driven gear pump for a ariel square four dedicated to pumping and scavenging the turbo......

Comment

Working...
                              X