Gsxr Rear Wheel on an 82 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gsxr Rear Wheel on an 82 1100E

Hey Guys and Gals! I'm in the process of putting a 17x5.5 rear wheel off a GSXR onto my 82 1100E. No,I don't have the stock swing arm on it. I bought a Trac Dynamics 4inch over swing arm. the wheel fits nicely in the swing arm. The wheel I have is,I believe, a mid 90's item as it is a straight three spoke design. The problem I'm encountering is the newer wheel axle diameter is a lot bigger than the old 82's. I'm thinking of two ways to solve the problem.The first is to sleeve the inside of the newer wheel so that I'm able to use the 82's axle bearings. The second idea is to drill out my swing arm and it's aluminum slider blocks to the diameter of the newer wheel. Any thoughts?

Would there be any way to get the bearings with the OD you have and the ID you need??

I don't know if I like the sleeves, and I would hate to have to drill the arm......

Comment

I did some work on it last night and come to the conclusion that the stock bearings aren't going to fit in the newer wheel. I got out my dial calipers and measured the i.d. of both wheels. The 82 measured 1.85 inches and the newer wheel i.d. measured 2.28. I'll have to do some checking on the bearing sizes,as you suggested,Ludicrous Speed. I was at the Dennis Kirk site last night and I think they had quite a few different sizes in the rear bearing department. All I know is that the wheel is going on!

Comment

Check with the wheel manufacturer "Performance Machine". I've bought bearing reducers from them in the past. The bearing reducer looks like a sleeve that fits inside the bearing allowing you to use the stock axle.
        Axel

Comment

GSXR Rear Wheel on 821100E

Went online to Performance Machine to their live chat tech assistance and told them what I was after.Apparently they don't make reducers that size,but they do make them as you said,Axel.Found a site,bearingsdirect.com, that can make any size wheel bearing you want. Now the fun part, knocking out the gsxr's bearings to make sure of the o.d. and ordering up what I need.I'll keep you all posted!

Comment

I am very interested in your project...how are you taking care of sprocket alignment?

Hap

Comment

GSXR rear wheel on 82 1100E

I'm thinking an offset sprocket is what I'll be using for the front sprocket. I think maybe like a 5/8 in.offset sprocket perhaps. I really haven't gotten to that point yet as I'm still working on getting wheel bearings for my wheel. I'll be stopping at a bearing place after work tomorrow to see if they can make up the required bearings,which will be 58mm o.d and a 20mm i.d. I will be sure to let you know once I get it figured out.

Comment

Re: GSXR rear wheel on 82 1100E

Originally posted by Kid1100E
                I'm thinking an offset sprocket is what I'll be using for the front sprocket. I think maybe like a 5/8 in.offset sprocket perhaps. I really haven't gotten to that point yet as I'm still working on getting wheel bearings for my wheel. I'll be stopping at a bearing place after work tomorrow to see if they can make up the required bearings,which will be 58mm o.d and a 20mm i.d. I will be sure to let you know once I get it figured out.
                I have eyeballed it a little on my bike and I can see where the chain and frame could interfere with each other...I really do not want to cut the frame or any thing like that (besides putting a bracket for the single shock).

I am real interested in any ideas you may have...let me know if the offset sprocket works!
                Hap

Comment

Re: Gsxr Rear Wheel on an 82 1100E

Originally posted by Kid1100E
                  Hey Guys and Gals! I'm in the process of putting a 17x5.5 rear wheel off a GSXR onto my 82 1100E. No,I don't have the stock swing arm on it. I bought a Trac Dynamics 4inch over swing arm. the wheel fits nicely in the swing arm. The wheel I have is,I believe, a mid 90's item as it is a straight three spoke design. The problem I'm encountering is the newer wheel axle diameter is a lot bigger than the old 82's. I'm thinking of two ways to solve the problem.The first is to sleeve the inside of the newer wheel so that I'm able to use the 82's axle bearings. The second idea is to drill out my swing arm and it's aluminum slider blocks to the diameter of the newer wheel. Any thoughts?
                  Hi i have done the same mod to my GSX1100E and i have used the swing arm from a mid 90s GSXR bike with new spacers it seems to work ok i also put the same front wheel and callipers of the same model on to give a better sellection of tyres for the front and better braking only had to make bracket to carry the callipers.

Comment

Bearings from '83-'85 GS700/750E's will give you the specs you need.

Comment

I did the mod, 1990 GSXR rear end on a my 82 GS 750EZ!

Here goes!

1. mounted the frame sideways on a mill, fly cutted the hardened steel frame inserts to accept the width of the new arm.

2. machined the front of the arm flat and two angles, arm was touching motor prior to this.

3. cylindrically ground the stock GS bushings and press fit them into the GSXR bushings allowing the use of GS bolt; while using GSXR bearings and new double bushings.

4. Used 532 chain + sprockets, cut the teeth off stock front sprocket and welded it to a 532 front sprocket.

5. machined where the rear sprocket mounts to hub to bring it closer to tire for chain alignment..........170 max...but this is a 750.

6. reinforced frame and made custom brackets that where hardened after machining to attach 1990 mono shock suspension.

It was a lot of work........but what a result! :P

Comment

1. mounted the frame sideways on a mill, fly cutted the hardened steel frame inserts to accept the width of the new arm.
                        What did you use to flycut the insert? I made a tool to use but it's slow going and if there is a better way I'd like to use it.

Comment

interesting

All this interests me very much. To those who have completed this project can you post some pictures?
                          Cheers,
                          Shaun

Comment

Hey Kid1100e, I don't know how much of a difference this makes, but I got an 86 1100 gixxer wheel on the back of mine with a 630 chain and sprocket. . . I tried an 5/8 offset sprocket on the front, and it rubbed on the frame. I have a 3/8 off. sprocket on there now and life is good, after making a spacer for the rear [/quote]

Comment

Working...
                            X