Close encounter of the winged kind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close encounter of the winged kind

On a rather long and eventful 12 hour ride last year (never again...) there were 4 of us travelling along a rather narrow hedged lane at about 40mph.

I was 2nd from the front and enjoying the ride, nice warm day, fresh air under the visor, bike behaving exactly as expected. About a hundred yards ahead a flock of small birds were startled by the noise of the bikes and took to the air, crossing the road in front of us at about head height.

They were gone by the time we got to where they were settled, well, all apart from one...

This one was apparently asleep when all the rest of his buddies left and suddenly woken by the noise of 4 bikes next door decided that a sharp exit would be best. Unfortunately he took a sharp exit straight into the shoulder of the guy in front. Stunned (or possibly dead) by this impact he bounced upwards and floated directly towards me! Luckily he passed a few inches over my head and landed on the ground behind me.

We pulled over a few hundred yards later to examine my friends shoulder which developed a bruise about the size of my fist, nice.

Needless to say that was the start of an eventful ride which was scheduled to last 4 hours, but in the end took 12 and included other such hilarities as the girlfriend throwing her bike into the hedge in a sulk and a petrol attendant overfilling my tank so that every time I made a right hander my right knee was doused in unleaded....

ah the joys of biking

horlix

Last week I was almost hit by a wild turkey flying across the road. That would have been no fun at all.

Wildlife and I don't seem to get along.

Joys and perils of motorcycling, indeed!

Comment

Nick Want me to send my 12-gauge down with the check?

Comment

Birds, I love them, or should I say they love me. Last fall I had one bounce off the horns and then hit the front brake handle. At this point in time the structural integrity of the little buggar was gone. It left bits of bird and feathers all over me and the bike. 8O This spring I had one hit the side of my helmet because I dodged it, it would have been a full face hit otherwise, another confirmed kill. And last but certainly not least a couple of weeks ago there were 5 or 6 crows sitting on the road when I rounded a corner they all get airborne but there is one slacker that catches my left rear view mirror, you can bet I was trying too dodge that one too. 8O 8O Don't know if I cured that one for good as I was too busy controlling the bike to see what happened to it. Safe Riding, and good bird hunting Bill

Comment

:-) I've often said that the most abundant danger on the roads down south are turkey vultures that flock in the middle of the road enjoying appetizers. Invaribly, they wait until the last second to take flight and always three or four take of directly towards me. I've lost count of the number of times I have gone through a flock of them head down and flat on the tank. :-) Closest strike so far has been a wing in the right shoulder. Rather smarts a bit it do. :-)

Thankfully, gators dont fly in flocks. :-)

So Nick, have you considered limiting your riding to anthills? :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
          Last week I was almost hit by a wild turkey flying across the road. That would have been no fun at all.

Wildlife and I don't seem to get along.

Joys and perils of motorcycling, indeed!
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

reminds me of my friend driving on I-10 in his work van, a huge owl figured he would become a kamakazi bird, SPLAT right in his grill

Comment

I caught a giant moth one night. It was slightly smaller than a bird. I was kicking along at 100kph (60mph) and had my visor opened just a crack. And guess what, the moth hit that crack and exploded up the inside of my visor and on to part of my face :x
              I had a good laugh about it once I cleaned up

Comment

Birds...

I've hit a pigeon that darted out under an over pass, but luckily he nailed the bike not me. Saw him roll lifelessly down the road behind me...

Also almost nailed a huge owl last weekend with my van. It dropped out of the trees at about midnight, all I saw was this white thing drop to the road...startled me as I swerved to miss it. Saw it was an owl as I drove by and it took off. Definately wouldn't want to hit that on my bike..or a crow, or a turkey, or a goose, 747 or any other large avian. Well, to think of it, I don't want to hit anything on my bike, deer and trucks included, except the open road.

Josh

P.S. Has anyone noticed that certain birds, namely sparrows and finches, seem to WANT to fly in front of you as close as they can? It's like they are taking a dare from the other finches or some peer pressure from the other sparrows. They sit and wait until you're almost on top of them then swoop out and down from wherever they are trying to get as close to you as they can without getting hit...haha

Comment

In Colorado the bird of choice is Goose. There is a small water fountain/pond close to the road on my way home. The geese have figured out to stay there during heavy traffic but after 600 PM they figure rush hour is over. Never hit one but have come awful close a couple of times.

Comment

My personal curfew is 500 PM. Where do you find a clock with that many numbers on the dial?

Comment

Re: Close encounter of the winged kind

Originally posted by horlix_uk
                      Needless to say that was the start of an eventful ride which was scheduled to last 4 hours, but in the end took 12 and included other such hilarities as the girlfriend throwing her bike into the hedge in a sulk and a petrol attendant overfilling my tank so that every time I made a right hander my right knee was doused in unleaded....

You actually LET a petrol attendant fill your tank? Every gas station, er petrol palace, is self serve for me. I don't want any morons sloppin' gas on my tank or overfilling it.
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Re: Birds...

Originally posted by thebigbadwolf72
                        P.S. Has anyone noticed that certain birds, namely sparrows and finches, seem to WANT to fly in front of you as close as they can? It's like they are taking a dare from the other finches or some peer pressure from the other sparrows. They sit and wait until you're almost on top of them then swoop out and down from wherever they are trying to get as close to you as they can without getting hit...haha
                        It is called "playing chicken" (lol) The birds do it down here also, I have managed to reach out and swat one once, as it wized by the side of my head.

Comment

Robin

I took a robin to the helmet right above my face sheild (full face helmet allt he way). I was traveling 60 on a gravel road at the time. Just about lost it but I stayed on my bike.

Comment

Working...
                          X