What you make of this bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you make of this bike?

I am starting a new project. Bought the bike for 175 dollars. Anyone an idea?

[/img]

175! great deal!.....to start i`d change all the wheel bearins and a tune up..thats a 550?

Comment

Once the bike is in good working order...

All the pieces look good, I'd go for a new paint job. Maybe some snazzy, super-pimp, two-tone job like electric purple with a wide gold stripe.

Whatever you do, make it stand out. It's in really good shape and you should let it draw the attention it needs.

Comment

It is

Yes it is a GS550 from 1978, with an engine from 1981

Comment

Besides all the standard replacements, I'd put a butt kickin paint job on it, find a heat sheild for that little bit of black that sticks out on the exhuast, drop the rear end an inch or so and find a cafe type or 1/4 fairing painted to match the bike. Clean and or paint the motor and polish up all the aluminum and then ride it like crazy.

Comment

Question about lowering

Hi Jay

Lower just the rear? Or also the front?

Thanks

Comment

New project

If all you've got is $175 in that thing then you've got plenty of cash left over for some parts, right? K&N pods, header, re-jet kit, shocks, fork springs with 15 weight oil, swap the spokes for more stable mags with an extra rotor (a caliper would be nice too) on the front, tires, a normal paint job (no flames, Nike swooshes, etc), Corbin seat, chain and sprockets, Dyna S ignition. Probably around 800-$1000 depending on how cheap you get the parts, who does the work etc. That thing will look great and run like a scalded ape for a really cheap investment. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Nice bike, would make a great caf?-racer, if you want you can check out the 750 I just build by clicking on the "www"under my name.
                By the where in Holland are you from?

Hup holland hup

Comment

Where i am

I woon in drenthe

Erik

Comment

Working...
                  X