Offset Sprockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offset Sprockets?

Where do I get one and how do I know which one to get. I own an 83 750ES that I am putting a GSXR 1100 swingarm onto for the wider tire, Pretty sure I will need an offset sprocket for this or the chain will run through the tire. Or is there another solution? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Mike

Nice of you to breach this topic

I've got an '83 750E that I'm in the process of totally rebuilding (not so much performance as completely tearing down, cleaning, painting replacing and bringing back to slightly custom and mostly new shape.

Something I was hoping to do was swap out the swingarm, but I wanted to stick with the original full floater linkage, especially since I just had a works rear shock made for it. Anyway, how are you fitting the gixxer swingarm to the bike and which year is it? If you're going a different route to make this happen, do you or anybody else out there know of a swingarm that works with the stock linkage that will allow about a 160?

I was thinking of an 1150E swingarm since its got the same linkeage and shock length, but I heard someone mention you can only fit a 140? I'm able to fit that big on my 750 with some creativity with the torque arm, so I am surprised to hear the oh so powerful 1150 can't fit anything fatter than mine. Anyway, I'll take all the info you guys can give =o) and of course when I'm done with whatever I do I'll post pics =o)

Comment

Re: Offset Sprockets?

Originally posted by bymetoys
      Where do I get one and how do I know which one to get. I own an 83 750ES that I am putting a GSXR 1100 swingarm onto for the wider tire, Pretty sure I will need an offset sprocket for this or the chain will run through the tire. Or is there another solution? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
      Mike
      Murdoch Racing Enterprises (MRE), Cope Racing, Ward Performance, Schnitz Racing, possibly Orient Express should all have offset sprockets. You can find a lot of these companys at

Your motorcycle drag racing news source for everything dragbike related.

You may have to have a special offset length made. Also an outboard support bearing would make life on your transmission much nicer.

Hap

Comment

Thanks hap I was thinking of some gixxer parts for my GS but the offset sprocket was killing me because with out the bearing it would tear the shaft to pieces. Never thought about the bearing at all.

Comment

Bymetoys, What parts did you use in your engine and what kind of power are you making? I'm really curious as I'm going to go through my engine soon....
          Thanks

Comment

GSXR countershaft sprockets will fit as well. This will give you a few more options.

Comment

I don't feel the outboard bearing support is required unless you have an extremely strong launch. A typical street tire is unlikely to load the output shaft sufficiently to deflect it enough to break. A slick and wheelie bar can cause this loading. My experience with a turbo'd GS1000 has been pretty good so far. No outboard bearing support on my bike with 189 dyno'd hp, 7" Goodyear slick, 60" wheelie bar, 5/8" offset countershaft sprocket and no breakage in over 80 passes; sprocket nut hasn't come loose either. Note I didn't say it couldn't break or they never will break (as I'm sure some of these readers may have experienced) but I haven't seen it yet. Typical offsets are 3/8" and 5/8" although custom sizes are available. I've used the 3/8" offset with a 3.5" rim (WM6) and 5.5" slick and 5/8" offset with a 5" rim and 7" slick. Good luck.

Comment

BTW, the early Kawasaki Z1/KZ900/KZ1000 sprockets (up to but not including the '80 KZ1000J) have the same spline and pitch as the GS1000/1100s. There are alot of these around and you may well find some used ones at a $$$ savings.

Comment

Just putting in my 2 cents, I have a '79 GS1000 and I'm running an '86 1100gsxr rear rim, 630 chain, 45t rear and 15t front 3/8 offset sprocket. . . . . I've had no problems yet on the street. . . . . haven't track tested yet. . . . too cold

Comment

Originally posted by Gilmoses
                    Just putting in my 2 cents, I have a '79 GS1000 and I'm running an '86 1100gsxr rear rim, 630 chain, 45t rear and 15t front 3/8 offset sprocket. . . . . I've had no problems yet on the street. . . . . haven't track tested yet. . . . too cold
                    I'm running a GSX-R 4.5" rim with a 160/70, Gixxer 42 tooth sprocket, and 530 chain on my '85 700. I'm using my stock countershaft sprocket and alignment seems to be okay. Been that way for about 10 years with no problems.

Comment

thanks billy. . . . . . .this set up sounds promising

Comment

I put a 5.5 inch wheel on my 85 GS1150E I had to widen the swingarm by placing a 3 inch piece in the angled part of the swingarm it widen it and made it longer at the same time about 2.5 inches longer and had the wheel milled where the sprocket bolts on and placed a 1/8 inch washer behind the counter shaft sprocket and use a 530 chain I can put up to a 170mm tire on this setup or a 180mm if I shave some of the edge of the tire off and I do not use a bearing support but I do have a heavy duty output shaft though no problems so far It's been on about 8 years now

Comment

Anybody have before and after pics of a swingarm transplant? Did you have to play much with spacers before you found the right offset?

I've got a line on a '91 GSXR1100 front end complete from wheel to clip-ons and controls - the whole thing's been chromed, including the calipers for $150. The guy selling it has an inverted front end that he was asking $350 for, but he's going to swap it out for the '91 front end and sell that one. It's a sweet deal, but I don't want to throw a significantly beefier front end on my '83 750E without updating the rear as well. He's got a couple of swingarms for sale, but with the money to buy the parts, and the money to do the mods for swingarm.... I just want to see what I'm up for up front.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Q!

Comment

Working...
                          X