HomeMade Heated HandGrips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeMade Heated HandGrips

I've had enough of cold hands so I made some hotgrips for myself. Here's what I did.

Kim

8O Mmmm, I think I would rather spend the $54.99 for "Hot Grips" at my dealer. And anyway, where are you going to find a Cricket bat around these parts?
    Axel

Comment

My heated handgrips consist of a set of Vetter Hippo Hands that my wife gave me for Christmas back in 1981. They go on my GK in November and stay on until March, depending on how cold things get and when.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by axel
        8O Mmmm, I think I would rather spend the $54.99 for "Hot Grips" at my dealer. And anyway, where are you going to find a Cricket bat around these parts?
        Axel
        All civilized parts of the world have cricket bats, although I suppose you could use two condoms as a prophylactic measure against handlebar abuse!

Comment

I have a pair of snowmobile gloves. These work just fine down to about minus10 celcius, about 10 f ?

Using wire just isn't cricket, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by axel
            8O Mmmm, I think I would rather spend the $54.99 for "Hot Grips" at my dealer.
            Axel
            whoaw 54.99 USD ???

I buy yesterday such heated handgrips for 24.95 EUR in germany (special offer at www.louis.de)

V++
            Rackham

Comment

Kim:
              What sort of temperatures do you ride in? I'm asking so that I can figure out how many winds on the handle bars I should use for my climate.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                Kim:
                What sort of temperatures do you ride in? I'm asking so that I can figure out how many winds on the handle bars I should use for my climate.

Steve
                Winter in Bathurst this year got to minus 14 C (overnight) at the coldest, and probably up to zero by mid-day on such days. Such days are not common but we often have frost still on the ground in sunny areas late morning to lunch time.

I mostly don't ride in those kind of temperatures, but sometimes will be out there in close to zero temps. We don't really get snow here, couple of snowfalls each winter which don't last more than morning.

However, Bathurst is surrounded by towns which get much colder, so if I am riding anywhere it is generally into colder areas before I get to warmer places further afield.

On the other hand, if I head west it is into warmer areas. But coming home late in the afternoon I can come over a hill, hit the shade, and the temperature drops to close to zero very quickly by about 5pm.

All this relates to winter only. Summer is the opposite where it will be around 45 C (115 F) on a warmish day and I swap out the hotgrips for lots of cold beer in front of the TV. Today was another 35 C (95 F) day, and summer starts in three weeks.

My advice with the wire wrapping is to set it up as I describe mine (which get pretty hot), but if you need more heat just short out one turn on each side until you get it right for you.

Kim

Comment

Here in Canada, and the US northern states, we ride in temperatures far below freezing. The only difference is that instead of riding bikes we ride snowmobiles. I haven't heard of a snowmobile with heated grips. On the other hand there are snowmobile suits, gloves, and helmet liners. I won't mention boots because the bike has a foot peg, well most do, and the snowmobile has floorboards. So the boots tend to be massive.

I wear a removable liner snowmobile jacket and it is warm and, as I said earlier, I also use snowmobile gloves in the cold weather. That's it for cold, now Scotty how about heat?

Comment

I assuming that may have been a misprint, but pretty much all newer snowmobiles have heated handgrips and (thumb) throttles....They came in really handy a few times last winter below -20 celcius!
                    BTW, my sled seems WAY quicker than my bike 8O ,2 stroke powerband I guess,but, it does have 133hp and weighs approx 600lbs wet,so I guess it stands to reason...Its WAY harder on gas though...
                    Steve
                    82 1100gk
                    02 Polaris 700 Classic

Comment

Working...
                    X