Bouncing electronic tachometer GSX 1100 and GS 1150 1984

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bouncing electronic tachometer GSX 1100 and GS 1150 1984

This is valid for a GSX 1100 EF, 1984 and GS 1150 ES, 1984 with electronic tacho, I don't have the knowledge of other models with electronic tacho.

The problem with my tacho was that the needle started to bounce above approx. 5000 rpm and never went higher then 7000 - 8000 rpm; the needle was even going backwards.

I was able to fix this problem by changing two cheap capacitors on the tacho circuit board.

If you dismount the tacho (see instruction below), there is an electronic circuit board, which can be separated from gauge itself.

On this circuit board are two electrolytic capacitors mounted:

1 off Electrolytic Capacitor 4.7 uF, 25V, Elfa stock-number 67-013-46
    1 off Electrolytic Capacitor 33 uF, 25V, Elfa stock-number 67-003-63

The max. Voltage of one of the Elfa Capacitor is 50V, higher max. Voltage doesn?t matter; the only problem is that the capacitor is a little bit bigger and a little more expensive (like 2 cents more or something, but in production this costs really matters).

You can use the Elfa numbers to get the correct values (in PDF-format) and then buy the capacitors at your local electronic dealer (or order them on-line at Elfa).

Visit www.elfa.se/en and click the ?Datasheets? button at the left of the page, then you enter the Elfa stock-number and you find a specification of the capacitors.

I have a scanned picture of my tacho board on my homepage where you can compare if your board looks the same as mine. www.karl.zellner.com/image004.jpg

Dismounting of tachometer from the bike

This is an improved mounting instruction and wherefore differs from the one discussed in the technical forum.

Only for the E-model without fairing, if you have fairing it might have to be removed (don't know because I have no fairing).

Remove t
    he back panel on the instrumentation cluster by loosening the four screws.

Disconnect the electrical connector; don't forget to push the little plastic pin at the same time you pull out the connector.

Disconnect the three wire connectors (white, brown and orange) for the tacho and loose the two 7 mm nuts that hold the tacho.

Then loosen the four screws inside the instrumentation cluster that hold the instrument set.

Pull out the instrumentation set from the housing.

Gently pull out the tacho and try not to put your fingers on the tacho or Speedo scale because this make marks on the scale and it is time-consuming to clean the scales properly.

Change the capacitors by soldering out the old ones; it helps if you have access to a device that sucks the old solder away (the device is a simple manual thing you get in most electronic shops).

Solder in the new capacitors, be careful about + and -.

Remount the tacho.

Many thanks for the post, Karl. I have printed out all the info and will look into my 83 GS750ES's tach problem on one of the wet/cold days this autumn.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Waters
      Many thanks for the post, Karl. I have printed out all the info and will look into my 83 GS750ES's tach problem on one of the wet/cold days this autumn.

Simon
      Ditto.

Comment

I have recently done this repair to a US tacho that was sent to me (thanks again Dom) apparently it is the uF value that is important the V value only needs to meet or exceed 25V to be usable . It is also apparent that there is no difference between US models and others worldwide
        Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
          I have recently done this repair to a US tacho that was sent to me (thanks again Dom) apparently it is the uF value that is important the V value only needs to meet or exceed 25V to be usable . It is also apparent that there is no difference between US models and others worldwide
          Dink
          1. Was your repair successful by changing the capacitors?

2. I have one US tacho and it is marked 820 on the scales right upper corner, the European tacho is marked 821 but I could not find any other difference.

Comment

Originally posted by kz
            Originally posted by Dink
            Dink
            1. Was your repair successful by changing the capacitors?

2. I have one US tacho and it is marked 820 on the scales right upper corner, the European tacho is marked 821 but I could not find any other difference.
            Yes!!!
            Dink

Comment

Can anyone tell me if this fix will work on my 83 GS1100ES w/electronic tach?

Comment

Originally posted by TommyT
                Can anyone tell me if this fix will work on my 83 GS1100ES w/electronic tach?
                I see that the question of the GS1100 -83 is comming from some people.

My suggestion is if you supply us with some info like a scanned picture of the -83 tacho curciuit board and describe the components mounted, we can toghter try to find out a solution for that tacho to.

There are a lot of GS:ers around with electronic knowledge i.e. Hap Call, Mr Flurry etc.

Put the post in the Technical Q&A forum.

Comment

Well I had problems with my Tach not getting over 5k. After cleaning all connections, still not. So I tried the capacitor swap.
                  I will say that my '83 GS 750E has the same board and same capacitors. I swapped them out and now I get to 6k and that's it. Once it jumped up to 7k, then dropped again and acted erratically.

In conclusion: The '83 GS 750E has the same tach board and capacitors. But, unfortunately, it didn't fix my problem. and, like an idiot, I broke the needle on my oil temp. But, there is enought left to still read the temp. :?

I'll try to get another tach somewhere, unless anyone has any other ideas.

Dave

Comment

Are you sure that the signal to the tacho is OK?

Measured or tested with an other tacho?

As you described your tacho fault, it sounds not as it is the same error that I had with my tacho.

Many of the components on tachoboard are unexpensive, it is always possible to change some of them by chance with "trial and error" method...

Comment

Karl it certainly doesnt sound to be the same problem,
                      BTW any GS with an electronic tacho is basically the same so this fix should work for all. I have discovered this from my 82 Katan 1100.
                      Dink

Comment

Well I thought it was the same problem. On hard acceleration it kind of freezes at 5 k or 6k. Then all of a sudden it will Jump up to about 7, then drop back down. I thought that was a similar problem?

The problem with my tacho was that the needle started to bounce above approx. 5000 rpm and never went higher then 7000 - 8000 rpm; the needle was even going backwards.
                        I can change all the components if you think it will help. I may need help in identifying some of them. I could post a picture the next time I take it apart. I know resistors, but the other components, I'm not sure.

Also, how can I test the signal coming in? I hate to rev the engine up with no load on it.
                        Thanks
                        Dave

Comment

Well, it might be a simular problem after all..

I used an oscilloscope to measure the signal from the coil and a frequency generator to simulate the signal.

You could probably also use a laptop computer with logging if it has a frequency input card.

I could identify all components except for the black chips on the board, if you take the tachoboard to your local electronic dealer I think they should be able to help you.

If you cant get your hands on this measuring instruments, I would try the easy thing first and go to the dealer and change the components by chance. I would also check all connection carefully and make sure that bikes voltage level and battery is OK.

If you look in this post you can see that I have two tacho and that I not was able to fix one of them, I don't know still today if I messed one of them or if they had different errors.

Comment

So, I was su####ius about the capacitors so I also changed the two Tanthal-capacitors on the circuit board without succsess.

After reading MrFluffys post about filtering I came back to the electrolyt capacitors and my first partly succses changing them.
                            I remembered reading this before. This has me puzzled? What's the difference in these capacitors? I used to be into electronics while in the U.S. Army about 18 years ago, but not anymore, so I'm rusty....

This could possibly be the problem. The electronics guy I talked to, I just gave him the specs and he said they were pretty much off the shelf, but never mentioned the elctrolytic?

P.S. I have reposted this in the Tech Forum.

Dave

Comment

Anybody got any info on how these electronic tachos work, ie. do they count pulses or are they voltage/current sensing.

I only ask as I've got a GS550 with a boyer ignition fitted. Unfortunately the Boyer doubles the amount of sparks generated and my tacho now gives out a reading of twice the actual RPM. If I know what it is measuring I could rig something to compensate for the effect.

Looking at the actual tacho mechanism it looks like a simple MCM so I'm tempted to think that they work on actual current flowing through the tap off, in which case it should be easy enough to put a shunt across the meter can anyone enlighten me before I get down to experimenting

Comment

Working...
                              X