Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better OEM alternatives to '83 GS1100E calipers/master?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better OEM alternatives to '83 GS1100E calipers/master?

Is it the master cylinder or the calipers on my bike which are so wooden?
    I replace fluid yearly so it's always virtually clear and converted to Goodridge Kevlar dual lines which go directly to each caliper. Removed the anti-dive and have billet covers over them.
    Have tried green EBC pads and it is still very wooden with engagement too far from the bar for my liking.
    Are there any calipers from other bikes which are readily available and can bolt on without much machining? Always torque down the caliper bolts in stages to the middle on the specified torque range and have started to strip one of the bolts holding on the caliper anyway , so I am more than willing to find new calipers. If it is the master cylider which is so bad, then which bikes can give a donor with the proper bar mount and hopefully a mirror perch?
    Bandit? Early GSXR1000?

I don't know of any other calipers that will bolt up without at least new brackets being made. I do know someone who put a Honda RR900 master cylinder on his '83 Suzuki XN85 and claims to have much better braking force. I imagine most any master cylinder from a bike with dual disk would bolt right on.
    Axel

Comment

look in denniskirk.com they have nice front master cylinders with adjustable levers for 144$, my future mod.

Comment

Better alternatives

What I used on my GS 1150 was Kawi 1000R master (which will fit your bike as well) and Nissin 4 pistons calipers from new Bandit 1.2
        They were bolt on operation, but I`m not sure about yours lower legs.
        To go the cheapest way, you can switch to GS 1150 lower legs, (bolt on)or not cheap but better go all the way with newer front end ( Bandit, Katana 600, RF, GSXR - everything fits).
        My complain with the original system was:
        force neccesary to squeze the lever was to big,
        the feeling of brakes was wooden - like yours.
        I have two fingers killer front brake now.
        Regards - Adam M.

Comment

Originally posted by axel
          other calipers that will bolt up without at least new brackets being made Axel
          Axel I've read about these 'brackets' but have trouble visualizing them. What do they accomplish exactly, what would they be made of etc? Thanks,

Comment

The brackets I was referring to is just an adapter plate between the fork and caliper mounting holes. But unless you have a good friend who's a machinist you may not want to mess with it. I would suggest taking one of your calipers with you to a good motorcycle yard and matching up something. Other than mounting hole location you should also look at the clearance between the caliper and the wheel spokes. I was going to fit some 4 piston nissin calipers from an old GSXR (same as GSF1200) on my '83 Suzuki XN85 Turbo but there was serious interference.
            Are your brakes really that bad? I know they take more effort that the brakes on new bikes but if everything is working properly and there's absolutely no air in the system they shouldn't be that bad.
            Axel

Comment

Better master / calipers

4 pistons Nissins fit without any problems on my GS 1150 lower legs, and these lower legs fit on every GS fork tubes - so you can find such lower legs, or make brackets.
              Regards - Adam M.

Comment

Good idea Adam..thank-you.

Comment

2002 GSXR Tokico calipers

I bought 2002 GSXR Tokico calipers (4 pistons) there is an interference with the wheel (1979 GS 1000 G) but I will try to buld a spacer to widened the space between disk and wheel and approching the fork leg. Any body has done that?
                  What is the difference between gs1000g fork leg and gs 1150 ??? Would that help me? I suppose not since the space between disk and wheel would remain unchanged. Any other idea?
                  Olivier

Comment

Brakes

I installed a 1996 Honda CBR 900rr on my XN85 and it works great. I bought it off ebay for $40 shipped to the house. You can get them from GSXR or CBR or what ever almost all bolt right up.

Robert

Comment

I put a master cylinder with remote resevoir from a 1990 GSXR750 and aeroquip braided lines with stock front calipers and antidives still in place. The handle also allows 4 adjustment settings for different hand lengths.
                      I can lock it up with two fingers and about 3/4 of an inch of lever travel, there is nothing wrong with stock calipers!

One word of advice, get rid of the junction box on the lower triple and run two seperate brake lines off the master..........three less places to trap air and contaminantes.

Andre 8)

Comment

Working...
                      X