• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing from points to elec. "Dyna s"

Anyone have any comments for or against
    I have a 79-GS750LN it's time for a tune-up an auto parts tech suggested
    switching to electronic ignition.

my 78 had the points chunked for a dyna pick up coil, thats one less thing you have to worry about setting...DO IT!

Comment

I had a 1979 GS850GN, which had a Martek electronic ignition when I bought it. It served me well for two riding seasons, with no ignition problems of any kind. Get rid of those points and install the electronic ignition.

Nick

Comment

Do I need to replace the coils too

Comment

i did replace my coils but thats cause they were old, you can run dyna with old stock coils.

Comment

for the mechanically uninclined...

I have a 1983 GS750ESD, what kind of ignition do I have? THe bike runs well but I'm probably gonna pull it apart over the winter for a good overhaul and paint job. I want to try and make eveything good as new so it will keep on running forever.
            CHeers,
            Shaun

Comment

Klack you have an electrnic ignition on yours

Comment

My old 1978 GS 1000 had points. Now it has electronic ignition.
                It's the best.

Comment

I replaced my points, with a Dyna S. . . . . . . . . No more ignition problems

Comment

Do you gain any hp by going with the dyna over the points?

Comment

You don't get more horsepower,you get something even better,more free time not messing with points! Dyna is one of best mod's you can make.Another best buy is the Electrex reg/rectifier. KK.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Dyna S with Dyna coils and Dyna plug wires will improve your starting and performance. The starting improves because the hotter spark will fire the motor with less drain on the battery from the starter, hence less voltage loss to the ignition. The performance gain is because 1)timing is forever optimum (no gradual power loss due to wear on the moving parts like point contacts and rubbing blocks and resultant timing change) and 2)factory coils were OK at best when new and their performance suffers as they age. One of the first and best mods to an old GS. If you have the electronic ignition (1980 and newer models, I think) then only the coils and wires are needed. Have fun.

Comment

Points also tend to 'bounce' at higher rpm, causing misfires. I would imagine that a bike engine would see considerable improvement in this area, especially a DOHC design. I've been looking for a points conversion for my 550, so far the only thing I've found is the Dyna S. The best price I've found is from the Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse, around $130-$140 American. Dennis Kirk wants $191, and if you orde right from Dyna they want just over two beans! That's really stiff considering I put a Pertronix in my '73 Centurion for about $70. Sadly, Pertronix seems to make these things for car, truck, marine, industrial, farm equipment, and fleet applications but nothing for motorcycles. Nothing. Zip. Not one sausage. I'm about to check out this Martek company though, I hope they offer something - Otherwise I'll order the Dyna from MAW, that's a sorta semi - reasonable price, figuring that anything for a motorcycle will be a little bit more than for a car.

Comment

Working...
                          X