First ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ride

Well, I had my first rides today. Only put on ~20 miles, but I was cruising around town (went to two car shows and a couple friends houses). Had a blast! The difference in speed from third-fourth-fifth isn't huge though. I would have liked to see a higher fourth and fifth (and maybe a slightly taller third). My little oil leak is turning larger, which makes me think the bolt is backing out (started off with 2 drops after it was warm, graduated to 3 last week and it got steadily worse as today went on). So i'm hoping (now that its cooled off) that I can tighten up that head bolt ( Link ) and stop that leak (or at least slow it down till the winter months when I can have someone look at it).

I gave it a shot in second on the open road. Scared myself good 8O so I hopefully won't be doing that too often. I did a bunch of U-turns for practice and a couple panick brakes just to get a feel for it. Haven't tried quick swerves yet as i'm not ?bercomfortable yet. Perhaps in the upcomming week.

-=Whittey=-

{edits} Bah, HTML isn't working for me, but then again neither is bbcode.

Nicest looking oil leak i ever saw Whittey

Comment

Small item for you, Whittey:

Do NOT tighten a single head bolt. That invites trouble.

Get a torque wrench and tighten ALL of them. You will probably find more than one bolt that needs it. Follow proper sequencing and do ALL the bolts.

The few extra moments pay off in engine longevity.
      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Very good advise argonsagas. The previous owner of my 850 torqued the fire out of the cam cover head bolts and cost me down time and a new gasket. Oil every where including my pants legs. Proper torque is a must. BTW 6.5Lbs of torque doesn't seem like much, but the oil is staying in the engine now.

Comment

Come to find out its not the head. I got my face in there and (while being spurted with hot oil) find the cam cover is leaking (visibly spurting straight forward at anything over 4500rpm). I removed the cam cover bolts from that quarter of the engine and rtv'd it, then gently torqued the cover bolts again (i've done many a valve cover previously). All seems to be in order, but I did this at night and didn't have a chance to clean off the bike yet (must remove all oil on the pipes before I can see if there is anything new). We shall see.

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Working...
          X