Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Increase a 77-79 GS750's power in one simple bolt on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Increase a 77-79 GS750's power in one simple bolt on.

I have found a way to increase the power of my 750 in 1 bolt on! All you do is aquire a GOOD gs1000 engine from the same era. MAKE SURE EVERYTHING COMES WITH IT! LIKE THE CLUTCH AND STATOR/ROTOR! Check it over to make sure it's kosher. (things I did wrong) Now everybody will tell you your next visit after removing the 750 is a visit to the machine shop. Slap them now. First, mount the rear lower mount in place. next, jack the front of the engine up and run to the hardware store for a 12 inch threaded stud. I used a 3/8 in. make sure to get 2 flat washers, 2 lock washers and 2 nuts too. While you're at the hardware store, pick up a 1 in spacer that will fit over the stud, and a 5 inch steel hinge that's atleast 2 inches wide 4 inches from the tip. Go back and jack up the front of the engine. The right front mount goes in normal. The left front mount will go on the outside of the frame instead of the inside. Push the 12 inch stud through the mounts and engine and bolt in place using the lock washers and flat washers. (flat washers inside) Next, measure up the hinge to be used as the rear upper mount. It should be about 4 inches long, straight triangle. Cut the hinge, drill the holes and use the original mounting bolts. Slap everything from the 750 back on as needed, with the exception of the airbox. Use pods, and stock 750 jets. (the 1000 stock is slightly smaller jets, so increasing airflow will alow the 750 jets to work, I actually have 100s) Fire it up and ride away with MORE POWER!

You sure you're not from Texas? Being a cowboy an'all?
    Tell me you've got 2 of those hinges at the back, not just one, please. 8O If you do you'll need another spacer as the 1000 engine is narrower at the mounting point.
    You're not quite right about the jetting, as you haven't taken the main air jet into account (nor much else if truth be told). If you used 1000 carbs, you could source a 28mm set and get a useful power gain as well as keeping the jetting stock by utilising the 750 airbox. The same airbox was used on the GS1000/1100G shafty so can be assumed to flow enough.
    Engine mounting bolts should be High Tensile, I doubt the studding you buy in a hardware store is.
    Hinges. Judas H. Priest......... :roll:
    On the other hand you could always do the job properly.

Comment

that there stud ain't offern me any hassle, and it was "high strength" according to the hardware Guru, the hinge in back, when you cut it, you get 2 peices of triangular metal, again using "high strength" so you only need 1 hinge.

Carbs seem to flow plenty of air/fuel, without replacing them... besides, I WANTED THEM THERE PODS... I hated always removing that airbox... and I could never get the snorkel back on... not texan, just bored minnesotan.

Comment

Don't be "pickin" on us Texans -

Comment

post some pictures please

Comment

1. The GS750 airbox is the easiest in the world to remove, you don't need to remove any snorkel, it can stay on.

2. Although your bike may run OK, I guarantee you the jetting isn't right.

3. What does "high strength" mean? Its not the same as High Tensile. I seriously doubt your local hardware store stocks high tensile steel studding. I've never heard of a high tensile steel hinge. Even if it was stronger, it doesn't follow that you can omit the right hand one because the left hand one is twice as strong!

4. You've omitted 3 engine mounting brackets and replaced some other components with inferior strength parts.

5. I love all Texans

6. Its your bike and life. Do what you need to do, just be careful. for a few lousy bucks you could have some plates made. I sent you some pictures of my bike , lets see some of yours!

Comment

Its Scarlets bike and he can do what he likes with it

Comment

Originally posted by JD
                Its Scarlets bike and he can do what he likes with it
                Course he can, and I did say that.

Comment

Originally posted by brit7.11
                  1. The GS750 airbox is the easiest in the world to remove, you don't need to remove any snorkel, it can stay on.

2. Although your bike may run OK, I guarantee you the jetting isn't right.

3. What does "high strength" mean? Its not the same as High Tensile. I seriously doubt your local hardware store stocks high tensile steel studding. I've never heard of a high tensile steel hinge. Even if it was stronger, it doesn't follow that you can omit the right hand one because the left hand one is twice as strong!

4. You've omitted 3 engine mounting brackets and replaced some other components with inferior strength parts.

5. I love all Texans

6. Its your bike and life. Do what you need to do, just be careful. for a few lousy bucks you could have some plates made. I sent you some pictures of my bike , lets see some of yours!
                  I believe this falls under the heading of "having to learn things the hard way" - just don't ride to close! Really like your point #5 - have to admit that we are also fond of anyone who can still speak the Queen's English (not a talent you find in Texas).

Comment

Brit7.11:

Your comments are appreciated. ScarletSpyder00 describes an interesting engine swap, which may be considered by others, but engine mounts are fundamental. While we can measure the physical dimensions of the plates, bolts and nuts that are needed, material composition and properties cannot be measured by eye. My thanks to ScarletSpyder00 for making the post and to you for your comments.

Simon Waters

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki
                      #5 - have to admit that we are also fond of anyone who can still speak the Queen's English (not a talent you find in Texas).
                      I love people who preserve their culture but i dont want it to take over.In florida we have 2 official languages and although i can get buy in three languages, i truly resent the second official language or any people who try to change the country thet they are visiting--Maybe thats why the USA is hated in so many places??

Comment

I'm sure I mentioned this somewhere already(!), but I did this engine swap 3 years ago and have been riding the bike since. Hence the 7/11 bit(its got a 1085 kit in).Its a great bike and worhtwhile if you can find a 1000 engine cheap enough, which would probably be easier in the US than here. I see them on ebay all the time.
                        It also follows that the 16V 1100 will go straight in and I've seen 2 bikes done like this. Much fun to be had. Gixxer engines are so small they will fit in anything but I believe this is a step too far!

Comment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
                          Originally posted by shaftzuki
                          #5 - have to admit that we are also fond of anyone who can still speak the Queen's English (not a talent you find in Texas).
                          I love people who preserve their culture but i dont want it to take over.In florida we have 2 official languages and although i can get buy in three languages, i truly resent the second official language or any people who try to change the country thet they are visiting--Maybe thats why the USA is hated in so many places??
                          I understand your point completely and can relate - just wanted to point out the fact that speaking Texan has absolutely nothing to do with the Queen's English ... Not being from Texas originally, I'm shocked on a daily basis by the combination of words from one or more cultures in a single statement - Texican, Spanglish, etc - I'm sure the same types of conversations happen in Florida as well.

Comment

Slowpoke

hah, what you say?

Comment

Re: Slowpoke

Originally posted by rick romero
                              hah, what you say?
                              Being from Long island New York and having parents from Brooklyn and Queens burroughs i dont claim to know a thing about speaking the Queens English except that i love to hear the english ladies talk. Also Scottish-welsch--Irish--italian-French- Scandinavian-- Well you get my pont

Comment

Working...
                              X