Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Put A 87 1100 Gsxr Rear Wheel On A Gs1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Anyone Put A 87 1100 Gsxr Rear Wheel On A Gs1000?

8O
    I HAVE A GS1000 WITH A GS1100 ALUMINUM SWINGARM AND 87 GSXR 1100 REAR WHEEL. THE WHEEL IS ON THE BIKE WITH A 530 CHAIN CONVERSION AND A 160 TIRE. I HAD TO GET A 530 5/8 OFFSET SPROCKET FOR THE FRONT AND ALSO HAD TO MACHINE DOWN THE REAR CARRIER TO GET THE CHAIN NICE AND STRAIGHT. I GOT ALL THAT DONE AND I JUST BARELY HAVE CLEARANCE ON EACH SIDE OF THE CHAIN( TIRE,FRAME). THE ONLY PROBLEM IS NOW THE THE MASTER LINK RUBS THE FRAME AS IT GOES BY.NO OTHER LINK DOES THAT JUST THE MASTER.

ANYBODY HAVE ANY SOLUTIONS?
    I WAS TOLD ONCE BY A GUY THAT BUILDS DRAG BIKES TO HEAT THE FRAME UP ON THE INSIDE AND WHEN ITS NICE AND HOT PUT A PIECE OF ROUND STOCK AGAINST IT AND DIMPLE IT A LITTLE. DOES THAT SOUND SAFE TO ANYONE? ANYWAYS I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS THING FOREVER AND WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME RIDING TIME IN SO I AM OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS, CHRIS

Sounds okay to me. You might also try using a rivet type master link instead of the clip.
    Axel

Comment

Thanks Axel. I didn't think of using a different master other than the clip style. I'll see if i can get one for it. I notice your in Cincinnati....I am just north of Columbus not too far from you. Thanks for the reply...Chris

Comment

I have a similar set up. (530 chain, Gixxer1100g/h wheels)

Didn't the 87 1100 have a 150 tyre as standard? (4" rim).

With a 150 tyre, my bike doesn't need an offset sprocket, just 2 thick washers behind the sprocket, and rear sprocket carrier machined accordingly to get chain alignment.

With the above I have 5mm+ each side of the chain.

The rivetted master link should solve your problem. It always amazes me that in safety conscious America they still sell chains for large bikes with a split link.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Brit7.1 for your reply as well.

As we speak i am getting the number from the shop i bought the chain from to see about the rivet style master link. I do believe the stock tire on the GSXR 1100 for that year was the 150 but i went for the 160. I also put the front end on my bike too and need to find something to add to the frame for fork stops. Any ideas????? I may need to weld something there.
          It's a good thing i have an extra frame that needs painted i plan to make the mods i need on that frame then have it powder coated and then transfer all the parts to that.

Thanks, Chris

Comment

I also put the front end on my bike too and need to find something to add to the frame for fork stops. Any ideas?????
            I had the same problem when I replaced my front end with a gixxer unit. What I did was to get some of those rubber blocks they sell to stiffen up coil springs. I cut some thick L-shaped pieces out of them and used black weatherstripping adhesive to glue them to the frame where the bottom triple clamp makes contact to keep the fork out of the gas tank. They last for quite a while before I have to replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by gs1000dude
              Thanks Brit7.1 for your reply as well.

I also put the front end on my bike too and need to find something to add to the frame for fork stops. Any ideas????? I may need to weld something there.

Thanks, Chris
              I've got the front end on my bike too. See www.gs4.co.uk tech pages for the full 9 yards.
              I made an L shaped block, drilled and tapped M5 in the ends and attached it to the bottom yoke in the same position as the stock GS1000 lockstop, through drilled holes. I put M5 screws in the holes in the ends of the "L" to make it adjustable. Works well, and no frame mods.

Comment

Brit7.11,
                Couldn't find the article you mentioned, I'd like to have seen it. Also good to know someone actually spent a little time designing and making a part instead of just hacking it together from odds and ends.
                Axel

Comment

Brit7.1 ,

I couldn't find it either at the web address you sent, but wow there was some cool bikes and good topics in the forums there too. The method you descibed sounds good. I think i will go that route. I am sure it would look better than something hanging off the frame. Thanks.

I got the master link ordered and now i need to get the rivet tool. Costly little thing. :?

Thanks, Chris

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough.
                    Go to http://www.gs4.co.uk/home.html and then click on "tech". First article is "Martin Whelan puts GS1000 engine in 750 frame". Thats me, read on to the second stage where I upgrade the rolling chassis.
                    Pics are a bit small, but if anyone is interested I can send jpegs.

I got a 3in1 rivetter/splitter/press a couple of yeras ago, expensive, but I've had good use out of it, meant I didn't have to worry about chain lengths, just ordered 120 links and cut it down.

Comment

Hey Brit7.1,

I went to that article at the GS4 page... bike looks good with a fair amount of mods too. If it wouldn't be too much trouble i would love to see a larger jpeg. I also like the canister style exhaust. How does it sound ?
                      Thanks,Chris

Comment

A cheaper alternative "rivetting tool" is a smallish G-clamp and a socket that fits over the pin. Go a little at a time on either pin until the plate is right down(yes Dom this is aussie "bush engineering").
                        Dink

Comment

Originally posted by gs1000dude
                          Hey Brit7.1,

I went to that article at the GS4 page...I also like the canister style exhaust. How does it sound ?
                          Thanks,Chris
                          Sounds great, deep and mellow without being to loud. Bit like a modern tupperware torpedo with a race can....... but with balls!

Comment

tire swap

I have a 79 gs1000. I drag my bike. What I finally did was, took another tube swingarm, had a buddy who races graft in six inches which automatically widened the rear, and put on a 88 gsx-r 750 17" rear tire ( 170). Nice thing is, the new mickey thom. 17" slick fits. It's a 190, and I mean it JUST fits. I believe my chain is 138 links, I also went up 4 teeth on the rear. Loses a little on the top-end, but, man hold on to your lunch coming out of the whole!! Oh yeah, I also had a gs1100 aluminum rear. I was told that by the time you have the aluminum welded, better know your welder.. aluminum is nothing to mess with, you have to have heat treated again, etc. It's much easier and cost effective to extend the steel. Good luck!!

Comment

cool website brit7.11

Comment

Working...
                              X