carb problems...still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb problems...still

O.K. lets see if I can hit al the points I should. I have an '82 GS1100GLZ, eight valve, shaft drive. Recently Rebuilt the carbs and after a small and quite pricey setback have them on the bike. The bike started up and idle fairly smoothly at around 12 thou RPM ( with fresh plugs). took it out and it felt pretty good, made it up a few hills without even downshifting. Went about 15 miles, stopped for a soda and 20 minutes later the bike started fine. when I got to about 20 mile on the way back ( total twenty miles, not 35) it started hesitating a bit. when I slowed down for a stop light it syalled before I came to a stop, but fired right up again. Another few miles home, downshifted to turn in the driveway and it stalled again. Pulled a plug and it was a soft looking dark black color ( clymer manual describes it as "fluffy" black), pulled the rest of the plugs and they all looked exactly the same. According to Clymer this is caused by excessive idle????? Does that mean to many turns in on the idle screw, or that I let it sit and idle to long? what else could it mean? I appear to have a good spark from both coils. If I left anything out , let me know

my first guess is your float level is incorrect

Comment

You do know that turning the idle or low speed mixture screws inward makes it leaner right? Where are your mixture screws set? I think they should be somewhere between about 1-1/4 to 2-1/2 out. Also, when you rebuilt the carbs did you replace the jets? If so are all the new ones identical to the originals? Are the needles installed correctly with the washers in the right place?
      Axel

Comment

The "needles" are installed correctly and turned out 1 1/2 turns which is what the old ones were set at( I checked before I removed them) All the jets are new and matched to the old ones with the exception of the mains, I found a set of 160's which were causing a bit of their own problems. I am pretty sure that every thing is matched corectly according to info I received from the guys here. The pilot jets are the only thing I am not sure of as one of the sets that came with the rebuild kit was not marked, but the other set was and was obviously not the right ones ( again, pretty sure). However the oilots that came out were not marked either. everything else was soaked thouroughly and cleaned carefully just like I would have done a carb from a car. Float levels were checked, but I am not 100% that I did that entirely right, I did use the same style measurement tool as shown in the clymer manual, but that only showed a pic how and gave a spec. Did that like the picture showed...I think that covers everything so far.

Comment

Working...
        X