How about gas treatments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about gas treatments?

Anybody have suggestion on what to use to help clean (keep clean) carbs?
    I have an in-line filter with a gold colored element.

i thinK that any gas treatment will do it (((NOT CARB CLEANER)))

Comment

The best way to keep carbs clean is not to let them get dirty. How? By riding your bike often and long, and therefore running lots of gas through the carbs before corrosion and junk mess them up.

I use Stabil in winter during the two or so months of colder weather. Otherwise, I just add regular gas to the tank, and ride and enjoy my GK.

Nick

Comment

Stable

Would stable work for 6 months? Up here in North Dakota the winters last from October to March (If your lucky, longer if you are not). I am not sure that anything other than emptying your fuel tank and running the carbs out of fuel would work up here. Personally I say become a carb cleaning master and clean them every year. Even on carberated cars the carb needed cleaning at least every other year (and that was my main vehicle). Gasoline is carbon based after all.

Comment

Re: Stable

Originally posted by Chris Hagen
          Would stable work for 6 months? Up here in North Dakota the winters last from October to March (If your lucky, longer if you are not). I am not sure that anything other than emptying your fuel tank and running the carbs out of fuel would work up here. Personally I say become a carb cleaning master and clean them every year. Even on carberated cars the carb needed cleaning at least every other year (and that was my main vehicle). Gasoline is carbon based after all.
          Chris:

I've stored my 1983 GS750ES for 19 winters now without problems by using Stabil (as Nick recommends). Although moisture is not a problem in Colorado (especially this year!), I always store the bike with a full tank in order to minimize the air space. I do not have any tank rust and the carbs have never gummed up. I do run a couple of tanks of gas with Chevron's Techron gas additive at the beginning of the riding season to help clean out any residual gum but this is probably a "just-in-case" preventative, not a necessity.

Comment

Clean Carbs.

I believe you. I am just a stickler for keeping my internal engine parts clean (grew up as a mechanic). I am sure I clean them too often but I like them to be nice and shiny, inside and out. Mainly just cleaning off the varnish left by the fuel. I like the nice and shiny look. Keeps it running smooth too. I have never tried stable. I may try that next winter. I have a new bike now and it needs a serious carb cleaning. Not to mention a new fuel tank.

Comment

I have never had to clean a carburetor on my personal bikes and for storage all I've done is fill the tank with good quality gas. I'm still not sold on Sta-bil, I think it may be just alcohol and have yet to see any documentation stating otherwise.
              Axel

Comment

Originally posted by axel
                I have never had to clean a carburetor on my personal bikes and for storage all I've done is fill the tank with good quality gas. I'm still not sold on Sta-bil, I think it may be just alcohol and have yet to see any documentation stating otherwise.
                Axel
                Axel:

The Stabil label states that the contents are petroleum distillates, with an additive ("CAS# - Mixture"...??) but no alcohol. In fact, ethanol, which is one of the constituents of many winter gasoline concoctions, is a problem unless stabilizer is used.

As for documentation, many manuals for gasoline engines recommend the usage of a gasoline stabilizer such as Stabil if the item is to be stored for a significant period. Specifically, the Owner's Manual for my 1983 GS750ES calls for the use of a "commercial gasoline stabilizer" under the described storage procedures. It states that "unstabilized fuel will form 'gum' or 'varnish' deposits that will plug the fuelcock and carburetor passageways". I believe that today's more complex gasoline concoctions are less stable over time than the simpler formulations of the early eighties.

Simon

Comment

gas treatments

I would agree with Simon. Also, I have successfully used Sta-bil for many years without problems, at least in my old 750 Honda. I did have some carb issues with my latest bike, an 81 GS850G. Talked to a mechanic who swore by a product called "Ring Free" distributed by Yamaha. He gave me names of others that had used it , and I contacted one of those people. and the product had cleaned up carb problems related to sluggish acting, and gummy. I bought some and used it with success myself, and think it a very good product. It apparently stabilizes and also cleans as it works. It was developed initially to "free rings" as the name implies. Don't know or haven't heard of another chemical that does what this stuff does. Good luck. and safe riding.

Comment

Every so often I dump in about a 1/4 bottle of Gumout to the gas of all my bikes. Never a problem.

Comment

additives

i use stp fuel stabilizer in my 83' gs750es with no problems whatsoever.
                      i also use lucas fuel treatment every once in a while during the riding season(which is too short here in canada!). it keeps the carbs clean and lubricates the top end.

Comment

I have never found winter "storage" to be a problem. Keep tank full; but still ride at least once a month. Top off after ride. 20 degrees F is brisk; granted, though easily overcome with appropriate riding gear. Just wait for the snow plows to clear the way. Has not been an issue in 25 years. Life is always good on two wheels.

Comment

In Portugal, we started unleaded fuel for the first time in 1999.
                          Can I use unleaded fuel on my GSX 1100 EX (1981 model)? I've using normal gas with the valve protection additive, just in case...

Thanks, guys!

Comment

Originally posted by VJMAX
                            In Portugal, we started unleaded fuel for the first time in 1999.
                            Can I use unleaded fuel on my GSX 1100 EX (1981 model)? I've using normal gas with the valve protection additive, just in case...

Thanks, guys!
                            You are safe running unleaded in your bike. We here in the USA have been using unleaded for years now.

Comment

Pete,

I have used Seafoam in the past. It also helps remove some carbon buildup. I have ran it in the gas in my truck and bikes. I have heard of alot of people using it in outboard boat motors. If you have an O'Reilly's in your area, you can get it there. Last time I remember, it was around 3 or 4 dollars a can. One can (pint) does up to 25 gallons of fuel. In my motorcycles, I would put in not quite a 1/4 of a can.

Comment

Working...
                              X