Aftermarkets coils and wires??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarkets coils and wires??

k guys going to take the plunge on new coils and wires this winter when bike is off the road was wondering what you guys all use was thinking of maybe MSD

Re: Aftermarkets coils and wires??

Originally posted by Ranzan
    k guys going to take the plunge on new coils and wires this winter when bike is off the road was wondering what you guys all use was thinking of maybe MSD
    i USED DYNA COILS AND SOME BELDEN WIRES THAT WERE 7MM --THE COILS WERE NOT AN EXACT REPLACEMENT FOR THE ORIGINAL ONES DUE TO THEIR PHYSICAL SIZE AND THE MOUNTS DID NOT LINE UP EXACTLY--MAYBE SOMEONE AT THE PARTS HOUSE SNOWED ME

Comment

i USED DYNA COILS AND SOME BELDEN WIRES THAT WERE 7MM --THE COILS WERE NOT AN EXACT REPLACEMENT FOR THE ORIGINAL ONES DUE TO THEIR PHYSICAL SIZE AND THE MOUNTS DID NOT LINE UP EXACTLY--MAYBE SOMEONE AT THE PARTS HOUSE SNOWED ME
      Scotty,
      I used Dyna coils for a while before going back to my stock coils. I had the same problem as far as mounting goes. All you can do is get the right impedance. The green coils is what should be run with the electronic ignition.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
        Scotty,
        I used Dyna coils for a while before going back to my stock coils. I had the same problem as far as mounting goes. All you can do is get the right impedance. The green coils is what should be run with the electronic ignition.
        I have the green ones-and guess what happened to me once--the mount slipped and the coil rotated a bit--in a slight rain it made it easier for my lousy wire boots to short to the frame--i have been swearing that i am going to fabricate something to complete the coil mounting but am always screwing with something else--if this extra air box ever get here maybe i can get those other carbs on

Comment

I had also tried Dyna coils on an '82 GS1100E and then switched back to stock when I sold it. I couldn't tell any difference in the way it ran what so ever. I think the only reason you might need a high performance coil is when you raise compression.
          If you're having trouble with the stock coils it's probably just the wires or caps and it is possible to replace only those items.
          Axel

Comment

k so you can just replace caps and wires??? do you just break the silicone seal around the coils ?? if that would work that would be fine too the wires and caps on mine are getting past thier age

Comment

k so you can just replace caps and wires??? do you just break the silicone seal around the coils ?? if that would work that would be fine too the wires and caps on mine are getting past thier age
              Some guys have done just that --I never have --Im sure someone who has will tell you of the method

Comment

Mine had little clips to hold the wires in the coils. They get brittle with age and aren't much good when you replace the wires. I just wrapped a turn or two of electrical tape around the ends of the new wires to make them fit snuggly inside the coils. Then I wrapped tape completely around the coils and wires to hold them in place. A zip tie would work just as well for that.

Comment

It takes some time but the glued in plug wires can be removed. First cut the wires them flush with the coil. Then carefully dig out the remaining insulation with a small drill bit or blade of some kind. Word of caution, in the center of the hole about half way down is a connector pin ( just like the one in the plug cap ). If you damage it, the coil is junk. Be carefull, take your time and work only around the edges of the hole. Once you get all the old insulation out you can install the new wires just like any other coil. Note, use same diameter wire and seal them with silicone to keep the water out.
                  Axel

Comment

I have uses accel coils years ago - they melted on me on a trip so a slow GS550 two up made it back a few hundred kms!! I must say I did not notice a performance difference. Changing to an electronic ignition from points was noticeable. My Gs1000 has higher compression and a bit of engine work.

Comment

so the inside of the stock coil will take the plug end of the wire or do I need the wire without an end on it ?

Comment

so the inside of the stock coil will take the plug end of the wire or do I need the wire without an end on it ?
                        I am not shure what you mean but if you just cut the wire off the stock coil and dug out the part that was inside the coil I would asume that you can just push the piece that you just cut away back into the coil and seal it as some have described--

Comment

Yes, you want the wire to have a bare end. You'll be pushing it onto that spike inside so you may need to twist it back and forth a bit to get it seated all the way on. You might be able to buy the high performance wire in lengths at a good auto supply store. If not, get a wire set with caps for a 4 cyl car, just make sure you get the same diameter as stock. Stock type N.G.K. plug caps are available at any motorcycle dealer or Dennis Kirk for about $4.00 each. Don't buy the original Suzuki caps, they're the same as N.G.K. replacements but cost considerably more.
                          Axel

Comment

Perfect thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                            X