GS 1150 1984 rim color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1150 1984 rim color

The rims on my GS 1150 E 1984 are in a "gold" color, does anybody know if the GSX1100/GS1150 was delivered stock with any other rim color?

Is it possible to repaint the rims successfully? If yes, what to think about?

Yes, most of them sold in the U.S. had black rims with polished edges. Clean them up good and scuff them with a scotchbrite pad. I usually just paint them with something from a spray can.
    Axel

Comment

Thanks for your reply Axel,

I want to repaint my rims in other color but the gold color doesn?t look like paint on my rims, it is more like a type of coating.

Do you know if the stock black rims you mentioned are actually painted or is the black color like the gold rims some kind of coating?

Comment

It's just paint, it'll come off with a good strong paint remover. It comes off even better with a bead blaster. If you want to paint the whole wheel, including the edges of the rim, you may want to look into powder coating. Powder coating won't get scratched as easy when changing tires. I personally like to leave the rim edges polished just for that reason.
        Axel

Comment

I think I will try to repaint my rims, as the black stock rims are you mentioned.

I looked at the front page of my Haynes workshop manual and saw that the bike on the picture seems to have the rims you mentioned.

Project for the next winter.

Comment

Hi Axel,

Winter is comming...

Do you know if a need any special kind of paint for the rims when I repaint them?

Comment

I've just used Krylon or Rustolem enamel spray cans. I also think a low or semi-gloss black comes closer to the factory look.
              Axel

Comment

Originally posted by axel
                I've just used Krylon or Rustolem enamel spray cans. I also think a low or semi-gloss black comes closer to the factory look.
                Axel
                Thanks for your info.

Comment

Working...
                X