Rider position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rider position

I have a GS 650G. I find the foot control placement uncomfortable. Has anyone ever taken a GS engine and put it into a Cruiser style frame? I was thinking along the lines of a Harley Style frame, it would (it seems) allow for the engine to be moved forward 4-8 inches. This would be a more comfortable position for tall riders like me 6'4".

Any thoughts on this.

Stephen

riding pegs.

I am 6' 2" and I used to drive a 550L. I did not like where the controls were either so I put foreward riding pegs on the engine gaurds. Other than that I have seen the gs engines in different frames but I do not think you will get the desired effect without some major modification. Have you thought about rebuilding where the controls sit on the bike as it is. (create the linkages to move them foreward, just an Idea.) Has anyone else done this to your GS's. I have been thinking about doing this to my 1100GL. Perhaps putting pads on instead of pegs.

Comment

Moving controls forward

Chris that is what I am now thinking about. Using the front pegs as starting point for small floorboards with controls extended forward. A welder should be able to handle this.

Comment

Welding.

You will have to post your results when you get the modification done. I would like to see how you did it.

Comment

81GS650GL Footpegs

Hey, my girlfriend has the same complaint. She would like the pegs a little further forward but not to the extreme of highway pegs. I would love to make this modification for her as a little present. I've got lots of things I want to do to this bike to make it just right for her.

Comment

Re: Welding.

Originally posted by Chris Hagen
            You will have to post your results when you get the modification done. I would like to see how you did it.
            I like your avitar chris

Comment

Thanks, that;s me and my little future GS rider there. (I am thinking of finding a decent 750E around to fix up for him (my old 550L has seen its last days.) I like your emoticons on your signature. They are cool.

Comment

There is an article dedicated to riding posture in the Bolt-on accessories sections that is listed on the home page. It's very informative.

Comment

Re: Avatar

Originally posted by Chris Hagen
                  Thanks, that;s me and my little future GS rider there. (I am thinking of finding a decent 750E around to fix up for him (my old 550L has seen its last days.) I like your emoticons on your signature. They are cool.
                  Chris one of the gang discoered this German site where you can get a zillion diferent emoticons--try it. ---------------------------------- http://www.plauder-smilies.com/

Comment

Roman,
                    I've seen that little discussion on posture and I agree with it. However, my girlfriends' GS650GL stock handlebars put her in an upright position and moving her feet forward a few inches would give her a much more comfortable position. I have ridden the bike many times and have to agree that for the position of the bars, the pegs seem to far back. They would be in the right position for bars that required you to lean, but this is not the case.
                    The only solution I can see would be to actually machin brackets and levers to move the controls forward. Seems like way too much effort.

Comment

Originally posted by VStan
                      Seems like way too much effort.
                      You ain't kidding.

But if your girlfriend isn’t going to be happy on a long ride, I can almost guarantee that you won't be happy . And it might result in her not wanting to join you on any long rides. It sounds like it might be worth the effort if she plans on keeping the bike for any length of time.

Roman

Comment

Working...
                      X