GS 1150 tire size ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1150 tire size ?

I have an 84 GS 1150EF and i am do for new rubber on the rear.Right now i am running a Dunlop K591 140/70 X17on the rear ,rim size is 17XMT3.00. The front is a Metzler Laser ME33LAZER 110/90 16 , rim size is 16MT 2.5. These tires have performed exceptionally well .Has anyone put larger rubber on theirs / Can i go any bigger on the rear and the front and what size ?

LIVE To RIDE !!!
    shawn.

I'd stick to stock sizes if I were you. Lots of guys go up a size or two but it's not a great idea. The wider you go than what is meant to be on the rim the more you pinch the sidewalls together giving the tire a triangulated shape. You end up with less contact patch with the bike upright than with the right size tire. It's also going to change the way it handles. Handling will probably be less predictable.

Comment

I think 140 is the biggest you can go on the rear without interference from the swing arm. 120 on the front is about as big as you need to go

Comment

I have a GS 1150 E/GSX1100 EF 1984 and run 120/80V16 front and 140/80-17V1 rear both Michelin.

This is one size bigger than stock and the bike was fitted like that then I bought it.

The reason for me to still drive this size is that I am out of sequence with the tire change and I think I have to downsize both in front and rear at the same time.

Then I run on long rides the tires size feels very good, but then I drive in traffic jams etc. the bike feels a little bit hard to steer.

I would in no case try to mount bigger size than what is mounted now; maybe I will mount the smaller stock size.

Comment

I am running stock sizes on my 1150 110/90V16 front and 130/90rear and feel these are adequate for the bike, I may go to a 140/90 rear next time but that is the largest size that will fit in the stock swingarm.
          I keep to a 110 front to maintain steering precision and dont want to lose this by going any larger on the front,I have actually considered going to a 100/90 front but feel I dont want to lose contact patch size under brakes.
          Dink

Comment

Bigger is better?

Shawn:
            I run 110/90-V16 up front and 130/90-V17 in the back on my 84 1150.
            I'm using the 'New'?? Michelin Macadams as they seem to be the newest tire in our specific sizes. Note: the Metzlers et. al. are all a very old tread pattern and I'm sure there have been lotsa advances since then.
            I would counsel against using an oversize tire or even a low profile type as I would think It would reek havoc on the handling.
            I just checked the factory service manual I've got to confirm as this is the original recommended size.
            Rick.........

Comment

Working...
            X