Turbo setups. . . . . . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo setups. . . . . . . . .

Is there anyone who has a turbo on an 78-82 gs? ? ? ? If so what kind, how hard was it to put on, and what kind of performance numbers did you get? ? ? ? ? ? ?

To puff or not to puff

Gil:
    Turboing one of our GS series motors is a REAL problem if you have'nt heard yet.
    The problem stems from how the engine is lubricated or actually how it's built.
    The GS crank is whats called a built -up crank, it's "assembled" from several pieces that are pressed together. As it happens the crank is spun on roller bearings & roller bearings do not require high oil pressure like a plain flat bearing. Sooo... there is no high oil pressure that a turbo so desperately needs.
    That means one must incorporate an engine driven -'high'- pressure pump into or onto the motor.
    To build in a turbo now involves: ..Fabricating a pump drive
    Plumbing to supply the pump
    Plumbing to drain the pump
    Plenum/piping from exaust to input
    Plenum/piping from output to intake
    AND if I'm not mistaken an additional scavenge style pump to take the by now foamed oil that exits the turbine pull it uphill to reach the level of the oil inside the crankcase.
    P.S. plus all that obscure little stuff like making sure the timing retards when it crosses from vacuum to pressure lest the motor pings into destruction.
    Rick.......

Comment

Rich: Thanks for the info. . . . . I guess thats why I haven't got any replies on this topic 8O 8O 8O

Comment

Originally posted by Gilmoses
        Rich: Thanks for the info. . . . . I guess thats why I haven't got any replies on this topic 8O 8O 8O
        I do not have one but I helped a friend put one on a GS1100L. It was a blow through. It ran fine and he as getting runs in the low tens and could ride it on the street.

Mr. Turbo builds a turbo kit for the GS1100E. It looks just like the one my friend had on his bike

Go to their website and grab some more info!

Hap

Comment

Just Charge it!

Theoretically you could also hook up a ProCharger P-1SC centrifugal supercharger. This would eliminate any tubo lag and oiling wouldn't be a problem since the P-1SC is self-contained. The only major issue I can see would be to come up with some way to drive the thing off of the crank. Maybe if you took the timing cover off, attached an automotive serpentine pulleyonthe end of the crank shaft, rebalanced the crank, attached the supercharger to the top of the clutch housing w/ it's own pulley,belted it up, devised some sort of housing for the belt and pulleys(so you wouldn't rip the skin off the inside of your leg), hook the outlet of the charger up to your carbs with no leaks, lowered the compression of the engine, increased spark temperature(maybe even dual plugs), rejetted and rejetted and rejetted, and tweaked the ignition and cam timing you'd be all set to lay down some serious rubber. Just remember to get a manual cam chain adjuster. Or you could just buy a Hayabusa. with a turbo.

Comment

Re: Just Charge it!...just huff and puff and blow you away!!

Originally posted by SamH
            Theoretically you could also hook up a ProCharger P-1SC centrifugal supercharger. This would eliminate any tubo lag and oiling wouldn't be a problem since the P-1SC is self-contained. The only major issue I can see would be to come up with some way to drive the thing off of the crank. Maybe if you took the timing cover off, attached an automotive serpentine pulleyonthe end of the crank shaft, rebalanced the crank, attached the supercharger to the top of the clutch housing w/ it's own pulley,belted it up, devised some sort of housing for the belt and pulleys(so you wouldn't rip the skin off the inside of your leg), hook the outlet of the charger up to your carbs with no leaks, lowered the compression of the engine, increased spark temperature(maybe even dual plugs), rejetted and rejetted and rejetted, and tweaked the ignition and cam timing you'd be all set to lay down some serious rubber. Just remember to get a manual cam chain adjuster. Or you could just buy a Hayabusa. with a turbo.
            Take a look at the turbo kit as posted!!!!1
            I take it back,..this unit has its' own self contained oiling system!!
            Supercharger...Hmmmmm..dontcha just wish you had unrestricted access to milling machines..I have the impression one would learn rather quickly how to set one up given the possibilities of what you could create!!
            Rick.....

Comment

Don't forget if you are going to run any more than 10psi on the turbo you will have to lower your compression with a turbo piston kit or an extra base gasket

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                Originally posted by Gilmoses
                I do not have one but I helped a friend put one on a GS1100L. It was a blow through. It ran fine and he as getting runs in the low tens and could ride it on the street.

Mr. Turbo builds a turbo kit for the GS1100E. It looks just like the one my friend had on his bike

Go to their website and grab some more info!

Hap
                Say Hap
                I would suspect that your bile could run in the tens without any turbo.

Comment

I have a '78 GS1000 thats been turboed for 3 years now. Originally in a street chassis (5th gear power wheelies.....yippee) and currently in a drag chassis set up for Super Comp racing (8.90 second index in quarter). The bike runs an old Mr Turbo kit that is of the draw through style with a Rajay turbo. Dynos at 189 hp at the rear wheel and indicates 18 psi manifold pressure (boost). The Rajay turbos are difficult to get these days and dated in design compared to the newest offerings but will run and survive on the low oil pressure available in these motors. Drag racers used them for years. Two different sets of oil pump gears are available to speed up the pump for increased oiling. Additionally a restrictor can be installed in the oiling system to help ensure sufficient pressure and flow is available for the turbo and engine. My has been trouble free for three years plus over 80 passes at the dragstrip and on the dyno. Works for me.

Comment

What is the mph on a 8.90 pass? Ive run 149 with the squeeze @ 763lbs rider bike weight and stock chassie and tire. Ive always wondered what it would do with a slick, wheelie bar, and swingarm. Any guesses?

Comment

My combination says an 8.90 pass with a swingarm, slick and wheelie bar (plus all of the assumptions regarding proper launch, well ridden, etc.) is in the 146 to 148 mph range. Example is 650 lb bike/rider go 8.84 sec @ 147.9 mph in quarter mile and 5.58 sec @ 123.3 mph in the eighth mile. All of this with a very lazy 1.32 60 foot time. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Here is one more question , If your bike rider combo is 650 lbs and you run 146 to 148 and my rider bike combo is 750 lbs and I run 149 does that mean my bike is making more than the 189hp your bike was dyno'ed at? My pass was only 9.90 with stock tire and chassie and an awful 1.72 60ft.

Comment

Sounds reasonable to me. Considering the 4 valve head, increased displacement and the nitrous power adder its not difficult at all to realize 200+ hp. Fun ,eh?

Comment

Skip, BTW I have a good lead on a complete Suzuki chassis identical to mine that is for sale without a motor. All the good stuff and your motor will slide right in. Contact me at massakins@aol.com if interested.

Comment

Working...
                            X