Whats beyond the shadow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats beyond the shadow?

I don't know if I am in the minority, but when I ride I always try to think of the "worst case scenario" just to keep my mind alert and awake in case such a situation occurs. I have heard stories of front tire blowouts, headlights burning out, radiator fluid spills in the road, losing a shift lever or having a clutch cable break. I had thought I had run through every kind of odd-ball sitution I could really face, until one night in Petaluma, CA.

I was riding south on highway 101 coming from my girlfriends' house in Sebastopol, CA at about 2am. I was on my GS450, a little project bike I learned to ride on when I started college. It was a dark night and the little headlight barely cast enough light to see very far ahead. I was in a hurry to get home in time for my morning shift in Palo Alto the next day (ah- what you go through for love)

I was overrunning my headlight a bit (going about 80mph) when suddenly I saw thing - thing- in my lane. It was brown, streched across the whole lane perpendicular.... yes, its a DEER! dead, but in my way. Going about 80mph with the small distance I had to react, my instincts kicked in from the MSF saftey class. "Straighen up, stand on the pegs, get off the brakes"

Well, I jumped a deer that night on my GS450. I ran it over, caught some air, and landed pretty good. Amazingly, the bike didn't wobble or tip. I kept my line and pulled over right away to inspect the tires and oil pan. Fortunately, there was no damage! But the night left a shadow in my mind; the shadow of what is beyond that dinky little headlight that you can't see at 2am. I know if I hadn't straightened up, or if I used any brake, I would have been in big trouble. Something to be said for those MSF classes.

Peter, your thinking is exactly where you need it to be and your reactions are truly excellent!!. Add the MSF class, and you've taken a major step along the way to being a long-life biker!!

Scrap the headlight outright. Just unbolt it and scrap it, then buy a decent motorcyle lamp with a replaceable halogen bulb...you will find a world of difference. (It MUST be for motorcycles) Stay away from halogen sealed beam units....they are better than the standard sealed beams, but the better replaceable types are miles ahead of them.

The halogen bulb is brighter and the lens will put more light on the road, plus it will put it there in a better pattern.

After that, (check to see if they are legal in your area,) upgrade to the newest xenon-type bulb that has a bluish tinge to the light. These bulbs are brighter and cleaner than halogen, with almost as much difference as you found by switching from standard sealed-beam to replaceable halogen, with the same wattage.

The improved light will let you see much farther down the road, as well as seeing objects more clearly, and give you a huge margin of safety over the standard sealed beam.

Now that you know you are doing very well with both your actions and reactions, and you can see where you are going, brighten your attitude, enjoy your rides, and consign your unwelcome shadows to where they belong...where the light doesn't shine.

You've had a great start. Build on it.

Emjoy yourself and your GS. :P :P

Best of luck. Ron.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I agree also. When riding keep you "Head" up ahead of you way up the road to see what can jump out and bite you. Don't daydream! There's always time for that when you remember how great the ride was... Defensive riding all the way!
      GY

Comment

Say "YES" to MSF courses.
        I agree...the best investment a biker can make.
        Glad you made it thru.
        I would've had to not only check the bike...but check my shorts too, after an episode like that

Comment

I took the MSF class this past summer (Wnd of July... it was over 95 degress and very humid both days on the range and they make you wear long pants, long sleves, boots, gloves, and a helmet... I know all that is needed, but it was REALLLY hot those two days) and I learned a lot from it. I now know all these techniques I will someday need to use when I am out on the road. I have never owned a bike before... but on Friday I will be the proud owner of an 83 GS750E.

But back to the class part. The teach you a lot of things in that class that will be usefull to even the most advanced rider. Now when I am driving along I see other motorcycles out there on the road and I think to myself "there's a bettrer way to take the turn" or "he's going to lose it because his head is down." They were right in the class... you will go in the direction you are looking... if you are looking straight down, guess where you are going.

Comment

What I've found out about night driving was that a scratch free visor is needed. The old helmet I recently scrapped was great during the day but I couldn't see very well at night while wearing it. As soon as I turned on the highbeams I saw nothing at all...I tried to aim my headlight a few times before I figured out what was going on. I can see twice as far with my new helmet Now if I could afford to replace my autotinting glasses I would be set.

Steve

Comment

I can always spot a rider who has never taken a course.

Those riders who have never taken a course are easy to spot. They are not hard to spot becouse they are all over the road. All over In numbers and in the way they ride. I was on my third bike when I finally took a course. I cant believe I lived through the first two.

Dont go too bright on the head light. My third bike was an 88 GSX-R 750. The lites were so bright people used to flash me all the time to turn them down. I tried not to blind them when I showed them my real high beams. I used to ride with my finger on the switch when cars aproached. about 50% of them would flash me.

Comment

Chris.....Better they flash you than not see you at all. As for Deer Jumping maybe we could start a new sport. I wonder what Nick would think of that?
                Glad you came out OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
                  I don't know if I am in the minority, but when I ride I always try to think of the "worst case scenario" just to keep my mind alert and awake in case such a situation occurs. I have heard stories of front tire blowouts, headlights burning out, radiator fluid spills in the road, losing a shift lever or having a clutch cable break. I had thought I had run through every kind of odd-ball sitution I could really face, until one night in Petaluma, CA.

I was riding south on highway 101 coming from my girlfriends' house in Sebastopol, CA at about 2am. I was on my GS450, a little project bike I learned to ride on when I started college. It was a dark night and the little headlight barely cast enough light to see very far ahead. I was in a hurry to get home in time for my morning shift in Palo Alto the next day (ah- what you go through for love)

I was overrunning my headlight a bit (going about 80mph) when suddenly I saw thing - thing- in my lane. It was brown, streched across the whole lane perpendicular.... yes, its a DEER! dead, but in my way. Going about 80mph with the small distance I had to react, my instincts kicked in from the MSF saftey class. "Straighen up, stand on the pegs, get off the brakes"

Well, I jumped a deer that night on my GS450. I ran it over, caught some air, and landed pretty good. Amazingly, the bike didn't wobble or tip. I kept my line and pulled over right away to inspect the tires and oil pan. Fortunately, there was no damage! But the night left a shadow in my mind; the shadow of what is beyond that dinky little headlight that you can't see at 2am. I know if I hadn't straightened up, or if I used any brake, I would have been in big trouble. Something to be said for those MSF classes.
                  Just saw this in a random search. Friggin amazing!

I was riding through the Sandia Mountains last night and realized how easy it is to over ride my headlight. After rounding a turn on old Rte 66, I came upon a yellow sign with flashing lights warning of deer crossing. No dramatic ending to my ride, just thoughts of what could be.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                    Just saw this in a random search. Friggin amazing!

I was riding through the Sandia Mountains last night and realized how easy it is to over ride my headlight. After rounding a turn on old Rte 66, I came upon a yellow sign with flashing lights warning of deer crossing. No dramatic ending to my ride, just thoughts of what could be.
                    Not bad Roger, you revived a 17 year old thread. That's friggin amazing!
                    GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Wise words never grow old.
                      Going all the way back to the OP I note, the training kicked in instinctively.
                      That's what it's supposed to do, even if it's a PITA listening to this guy going on and on and on about it at the time.
                      Big thumbs up for proper instruction
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                        Nah, Roger started reading the thread in 2002, he's just a slow reader. LOL
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                          That's kinda what we do around here though, right? Revive old things, LOL.

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                          Nah, Roger started reading the thread in 2002, he's just a slow reader. LOL
                          You know me too well, Earl.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A
                          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I'm glad this old thread was dug up as it's a great tale and it was posted long before I got here.

I like to think that I would have reacted in the same manner as the OP. When following another car too closely, I've been forced to run over obstacles before but never a whole deer. That would have scared me silly.

Every once in a while, someone I know will make an off-hand comment about motorcycles being unsafe. Which is true from a practical point of view. A freak occurrence, or an error in judgement or reaction can be fatal. But I've long since grown tired of explaining to people that I wear all the gear, ride very defensively, stick to clear weather and sunny days, etc, etc, to vastly increase my chances of survival versus the average ninja or pirate hooning around on their brand-new status symbol. I now realize that they don't actually care about my safety, they just want to be right about some inconsequential fact that isn't even relevant to them personally. So I just nod and smile and say stupid platitudes through gritted teeth like, "yep, I guess it is what it is," and try to change the subject to something less inflammatory like religion.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                            X