the results of a long wrench night....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the results of a long wrench night....

Well, last night I decided to clean and oil my air filters, raise my needles a notch, flush and bleed the brake system and replace the fork seals and oil. I started at 7 pm, and figured I would still get home in time for a good night's sleep... that didn't happen. Somehow my operation dragged on till 2 am. But I learned some things I thought could help everyone, so I will share:

1) The fork. My new seals are "Leak-Proof Pro Moly" and I am running (approximately) 239 mL of Bel-Ray 15 weight in each side. To get the old seals out, I was not terribly excited about taking the entire damper assembly apart as per my service manual, so I wound up removing the seal retaining snap ring, then applying shop compressed air (90 psi) to the air valves on top of the tube. This worked the seals out within a few minutes, but for some reason, both of them cocked while they were coming out, so I had to remove the air and straighten them. Still, it worked. Even if you don't have an air fork, you can get a good enough seal to do this by just holding a blower nozzle against the fork drain hole (I know, I tried that too).

2) The K&N filters. It turns out that where it warns against over-oiling on the instruction sheet, there is a reason. I oiled my filters like crazy, because I didn't want to wait 20 minutes for all of the oil to wick through and see if there were any white spots left, so I just made sure that I had enough oil to prevent me from having to add any more. BIG MISTAKE. I exceeded the cotton gauze's saturation point by a wide margin, and had oil literally dripping off. After I wiped them down several times, installed them, and wiped them again, I put my gas tank/sidecovers/etc. on, thinking I was ready to ride. WRONG! All of the liquid air filter oil that hadn't dripped off choked my engine, and when I finally got it to start after half an hour of cranking and several bump-start attempts, it would not run without at least half throttle or over 5000 rpm. So this morning I got the exquisite pleasure of sanding down four spark plugs, and now she runs like a champ.

The moral(s) of the story: Although using shop air to pressurize your fork on a normal basis is a bad idea because it can blow the seals, it is a good idea when you are trying to blow them. And, don't over-oil your K&N filters.

Thanks for the tips.
    Axel

Comment

What do you guys think about popping the oil seals out at a gas station? Does it take very long? I've ridden over a 1000km with one empty fork so I imagine I could ride 1 block home with two empty ones. I would just have to be sure I don't get any oil on my tires.

Steve

Comment

Re: the results of a long wrench night....

Originally posted by GS550LZ
        ...so I just made sure that I had enough oil to prevent me from having to add any more. BIG MISTAKE...
        I feel your pain! Been there, done that, didn't have the foresight to warn others as you have...good job!

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
          What do you guys think about popping the oil seals out at a gas station? Does it take very long? I've ridden over a 1000km with one empty fork so I imagine I could ride 1 block home with two empty ones. I would just have to be sure I don't get any oil on my tires.

Steve
          DONT DO IT, it is far easier to remove the bolt from the bottom of the fork leg and then operate the fork like a slide hammer to knock them out.
          Blowing the seals out and then trying to ride the bike with them removed will only at least scar your hard chromed fork legs and at worst bend them.
          Dink

Comment

Working...
          X