Steering Lock Miracle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Lock Miracle

My twenty something year old ignition key is showing considerable wear, and considering I only have one key I was thinking I should get a duplicate.

I was also having trouble with the steering lock. It would lock easily but would not unlock without lots of trouble, and sometimes needed several minutes of jiggling. There are also occasional mentions of people on this forum whose steering lock has jammed shut and they have to truck the bike home and fit a complete new lock mechanism.

So I went to the locksmith and asked if he could make a key like mine looked when it was new. It was $4.95 for a normal duplicate or $24.95 for a computer cut copy from the original key number and the "secret' Suzuki information. I chose the new key option, hoping the extra money was going to be worth it.

It is worth it. The key now operates the steering lock like new.

Not only that, but I now have a new steering lock option. Before I could only lock it at full clockwise direction and the tail light came on. I didn't want that to happen while it was sitting in my back shed for days in a row s the battery drained away. With the new key I have found that the steering lock also goes full counter-clockwise and locks the steering without the light.

My extra $20 has given me more than $20 in security.

Kim
    1981 GS1000G

Good tip, may save me some money on my current project.
    Axel

Comment

I was told I needed to give an ignition number to have a new ket made but my ignition switch has no number on it that I could find. What number did you use to get the key? Sure would be nice to get a new one, I have copies of the old key and they aren't the best ti use.
      GY

Comment

Gerryy,
        The number is stamped on the key itself if you have the origional. My key's Number is 3 digits.

The problem with these keys is that they are made out of some stoneage alloy. Medeco security keys are guatanteed for ever and are made out of very tough alloy. Does anybody make good keys for Suzukis? My spare made by Cole is a poor metal too.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Gerryy
          I was told I needed to give an ignition number to have a new ket made but my ignition switch has no number on it that I could find. What number did you use to get the key? Sure would be nice to get a new one, I have copies of the old key and they aren't the best ti use.
          GY
          My old key was the original and it has the number stamped on it. The locksmith's computer system identified it, even from 1981.

Kim

Comment

the # should also be on the ign sw where the key is inserted

Comment

Working...
            X