Cleaning fasteners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning fasteners

Well, I can scrub, and sand and polish, blast, coat, and paint all I want but my bike is still going to look a little shabby with rusty old fasteners. I searched the net a bit and the only trick I came up with was soaking them in vinegar over night. So I've got a couple of bolts in a glass gar with some Apple Cider vinegar right now. We'll see how that comes out tomorrow.

Does anyone have any good tricks or methods for cleaning up rusty fasteners?

Dave

Yes, get them replated.
    Cleaning them up is all well and good, but you'll find they've rusted because the zinc plating has worn off. They'll just rust up again.
    Zinc plating is cheap. (I've paid about GBP25 for a whole bike's worth, say USD40). Makes the bike look a whole lot better.

Comment

You can also buy zinc plating kits and do it yourself. Eastwood Company sells a kit for about $70.

--- Frank ---

Comment

Can't you just buy new fasteners?

Comment

i'm a ACE hardware junkie, damn near have ALL nuts and bolts replaced, minus engine casings which i got off ebay

Comment

Please be careful replacing fasteners.
            Most bike hardware is much harder and stronger than anything available in an average hardware store and must be purchased at a specialty "fasteners" outlet. They usually cater to industrial customers who buy by the 100s but I have never been turned down when asking for 1 of these and 2 of those.
            You can get any thread, any length in multiple hardnesses and fastener types (socket headed cap screws, phillips or square drive, etc.). You can even go to stainless or anodized if you want.
            Most nuts and bolts cost pennies each, even in the best materials.
            Check your local industrial park or Yellow Pages.

I have to admit I'm not familiar with Ace but please double check the type you're getting. If in doubt check this site:

Comment

Good idea. Thanks.

Comment

fasteners

i wire wheeled and polished some of mine and found them to already be chromed others i painted. check out hottoppers.com . these are chrome caps to cover your bolts. they list mostly harleys but they do list universal kits

Comment

Basically I just want to make sure that they don't taint the things they're fastening after I clean them.

Comment

fasteners

i dont see that being a problem

Comment

Drop in a bottle of Coke over night, the drink not the other stuff.

They'll be nice and shiny in the morning
                      Keith
                      -------------------------------------------
                      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

But won't they rust again after putting them back on?

Comment

eventually unless you wax them or clearcoat

Comment

Fasteners

I bought the Eastwood Zinc Plating kit, as well as a vibratory tumbler to clean the bolts. So far, even after degreasing and tumbling, I still have to do some wire-wheeling to get the rust, bits of Loctite, etc off them. I am polishing my case bolts prior to replating them. Wish me luck!

vini

Comment

Working...
                            X