Custom seats, or stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom seats, or stock

My 80 GS850 is a "tad" tiresome to sit on for long tours, and I am thinking of changing to a a different style seat. Has any tried some of the saddle type seats in catalogs such as Dennis Kirk, or have some had better luck with a gel seat or sheepskin pad? Suggestions as I would like to try the circle Lake Superior trip next summer.

Michael.

I have a stock saddle on my GS 1000 it seems to be fine for me. I can’t comment on the aftermarket saddles. I never had the opportunity to try any of them, always scared to spend the bucks to find out that it may be uncomfortable. I’m sure sitting 12 hours on any saddle can get quite tiresome. I recall meeting up with some gentleman in a city on the north shore of Superior called Wawa. He was riding a fully decked out BMW with this plush looking saddle and he was complaining about the pain in his derri?re but he did ride in from Texas.

I can certainly say that if you ride around Lake Superior you will have a fantastic ride. The ride on the North shore of Superior is fantastic. The scenery is great and the roads are in good shape with little traffic. The curves are long really long, I found myself accelerating through the entire length of the curves, and they just seem to come one after another . Camping is quite good and reasonably priced motels are abundant. Watch out for moose 8O while riding the north shore of Superior and of course the southern shore of Lake Superior is crawling with deer 8O .

I hope your plan to ride around lake Superior becomes a reality.
    Oh by the way, black flies are really bad in the spring and mosquitoes can be quite bothersome. Don’t forget the insect repellent.

Roman

Comment

I just rode a little over 3,000 miles to Sturgis from Washington State on the stock seat. No problems after my butt fell asleep at mile 200. The other guys I rode with had problems and some had custom and some had stock seats. The only person that didn't have any problems, spent the least amount of money. He had a sheepskin. So If I were you, I'd go with the sheep skin to see if that would work first. Then go more expensive.

Comment

I have a custom seat on my GK. Sent my pan to Diamond Custom Seat in Florida, and four weeks later (in January 2001) I had my seat, especially made for my tush. It was expensive ($400), but well worth it.
        I highly recommend the Diamond folks. Their website: http://www.diamondseats.com/diamondseats.html

If you want, I'll send you a pic of the seat. I put a lot of miles on my GK, and I can stay on the saddle as long as the guys on the big modern touring bikes -- sometimes longer.

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick,

Those seats look really nice. I really like the backrest. Do you have one on yours?

Roman

Comment

Thanks for the input. Not sure what I'll end up doing, but I think the full custom job is a little out of my budget this year. May just try the Sheepskin and take it out for a long day tour to see how it goes.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Not sure what I'll end up doing, but I think the full custom job is a little out of my budget this year. May just try the Sheepskin and take it out for a long day tour to see how it goes.

I wish you luck, and hope you're satisfied. Based on my own personal experience, you probably won't be. There's no substitute for deep, hard padding with lots of thigh support.

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick,

Those seats look really nice. I really like the backrest. Do you have one on yours?

Roman

No, Roman, mine doesn't have a backrest. Don't need one quite yet! This seat has served me well for two riding seasons, 01 and 02, and 25,000 miles. It still feels like new.

Since I have a long inseam, the Diamond people made this seat nice and tall, to give me thigh support. It's deeply dished and it has nice, hard foam that supports my 200++ pounds. The top is a charcoal velour, which makes the seat cooler in the summer (none of that hot vynil) and warmer in winter. They used the original pan I sent them.

Another nice item is that this seat will fit any future 82 thru 84 GS1100G, GS1100GK, or GS850G I may buy some day. For a look, go to http://groups.msn.com/SuzukiGSGarage...to&PhotoID=438

Comment

Working...
                X