79 GS 1000 performance rebuilds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS 1000 performance rebuilds

I am the owner of a 1979 GS1000 E. I purchased this bike in the spring of 2002 it has 26,000 miles on it and has sat for five years. My plan was to save my pennies over the winter and have the bike repainted and take it to the shop to get it running. However, my best friend purchased SV 650 so I was forced to spend the money then. I spent 600$ on the bike and 1000$ to get it on the road i.e. rebuilt carbs, resealed forks, new points and condensers, battery, etc. Well I love the bike but my friends SV 650 is still faster and herein lays my problem. I am looking to rebuild the bike for performance and handling. I need some suggestions on cams, pistons, big bore kit, carbs, valves, welded crank and anything else that will give more power without sacrificing reliability. I also need to know a good shop to do the performance rebuild on the engine. I was also wondering if there were any ways to change the gear ratios on this bike or if it can be converted to a six speed. Increased handling and decreased weight is my next step after the engine. Suggestions would be really great, as I have no idea where to start. This will be a bit of a drawn out process and I know it will be expensive. However, when I get done I hope to have a custom GS 1000 that will run with some of the newer bikes. My name is Dan Rossiter and I live in north eastern PA My E-mail is danrossiter24@hotmail.com

See my topic,'Total Restoration it all started with a flat tire...'' in the General Discussion Section, around Nov. 10, good luck! KK.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I think a standard gs 1000 will blow an sv 650 away. Mine does. My friend's got an sv and I tease him and tell him sv stands for 'slow vehicle'. He's not amused!! I think you should try to get your bike running better before spending loadsa cash modifying it. Does it have the standard airbox, or individual filters? Mine's standard. Also are you sure the carbs are really clean? I'm pretty sure you can't convert the gearbox. A gs thou doesn't need 6 gears anyway it 's got loads of torque!

Get it running right and you'll show your friend a good view of a disappearing gs1000 rear end!!
      Good luck!

Comment

I agree with halfwit (surely he has a normal name) Get the engine running to spec and the SV will never catch you. My 79 (when it WAS running good) could stay up with a Honda V-65 Magna and that was NOT a slow bike. The SV will out handle the 1000 but stoplight grand prixs will belong to you.

Theres 83 good horsepower hiding in there, bring it out!

Comment

Working...
        X