1150 Monitoring unit removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 Monitoring unit removal

Here are the instructions for removing the Monitoring unit on the GS1150/GSX1100EF.
    This procedure will disconnect the Headlamp warning system, the Tail lamp warning system, and the Battery warning system.
    Firstly there are two plugs connecting the Monitoring system to the wiring harness, one is a 9 pin plug and the other is a 8 pin plug.
    Using a wiring diagram while following these instructions is helpful,
    but it is a pretty straightfoward removal.

1. The White wire on the 9 pin plug should be connected to the Red and White on the 9 pin plug.

2. The White wire on the 8 pin plug should be connected to the Red and Blue wire on the 8 pin plug.

3. The Yellow wire on the 9 pin plug should be connected to the Red and Yellow wire on the 9 pin plug.

4. The following wires should be left disconnected.

- Yellow and Green wire (Headlamp warning system)
    - Both White and Green wires (Tail light warning system & Sidestand(This will not affect the Sidestand warning light))
    - Green and Blue wire (Battery warning system)
    - Green and Red wire (Battery warning system)
    - Orange and Green (Unneeded power feed)
    - Green and Yellow (Oil pressure - but will not affect the Oil
    pressure warning system)
    - Black and White (Unneeded earth wire)

5. The only wires left now should be the two brown wires on the 9 pin plug.
    These need to be identified, one is from the tail light and the other can
    be left disconnected.
    Trial and error is the easiest way to find out which is which.
    The brown wire from the tail light needs to be spliced into the Yellow
    and White wire that comes from the lighting switch on the right
    handlebar.
    So pick one of the brown wires and splice it into the Yellow and White
    wire, then turn your headlights on. If your tail light lights up
    congratulations you picked the right one the first time.
    If it does not then it is the other Brown wire.

You should have now successfully removed your temperamental Monitoring system. If you have any questions or corrections feel free to contact me

Cheers JD, most of the colours you mention are the very ones giving trouble. i.e. h/light, taillight and break light. I'll have a go at what you suggested and will let you know how I get on.

Comment

Did as instructed and.....................................all strange voltage readings have dissappeared. Hopefully this has solved my problem of blowing h/lights will keep you posted over the next week or so.

Comment

Thanks JD,

A very good solution for this anoying problem with the monitoring unit.

All you loose in function is actually the head, tail and break lamp monitoring.?

Comment

Are you telling me that all the trouble I have been chasing in my brake lights could be because of that mon%#el little black box?
          Oh boy am I gonna enjoy fixing that one :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
          Dink

Comment

Hey JD,

I just removed the monitoring unit on my 1150 (canadian efe) and I seem to have one extra wire on the 8 pin plug (green with white stripe). In the wiring diagram this wire seems to go to the instrument cluster. I just left it disconnected with the others. Do you think this is right?

I had a problem a few years back with the tail light and just spliced into the license plate light to give me a running light. I think I will leave it like that so I don't have to hook up the brown to the yellow with white stripe. This wire seems to be a dead end coming from the left handlebar . This might be because of it being Canadian and having no light switch. All the other wires worked out great.

Your input or anyone that has done this to a Canadian efe or any other one would be greatly appreciated.

Gerry

Comment

Hi Gerry,

I think this extra wire is connected to the distance sensor for the automatic turn signal switch off.

I have the electrical wiring diagrams for the GS 1150 different countries, and can see that the monitor unit wiring is different on different countryversions, but I don't know what the country code for Canada is so I am not sure if I looked into the correct diagram.

Comment

Thanks Karl, I didn't think it mattered and that it was something different for the Canadian model. I'll have to put the battery in and check it out before I solder the wires.

Thanks, Gerry

Comment

Gerry,

What is the country code for Canada?

I am still not sure what code Sweden has, because the country code should start with E-something.

The glued sticker on my frame says F42, and the field E:no on the frame plate is not filled in??

I learned from Dink that Australia has code E-24

If you need any wiring diagram for the GS 1150 1984, I can E-mail you or put it on my homepage.

Karl

Comment

Thanks for the offer but I have a manual that has all the diagrams in it. Just got to learn to read them. The Canadian version is a E21. I posted a reply in the other one as well.

Gerry

Comment

Now that I know it's a E21, looking at the diagram I see the dead end wire that came from the left handlebar should go to the right handlebar but i don't have the original there I have a duel cable throttle. Must have omitted that one, so everything should be fine.

Gerry

Comment

Gerry,

after calling the Suzuki distributer, I think strongley that your Country code is E-28 Canada.

Karl

Comment

Your right Karl, mine is a E-28. I made that post when we were all confused trying to sort it out. Looks like you got it all figured out.

Gerry

Comment

Working...
                          X