Triple clamp height & ride dropping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple clamp height & ride dropping?

Has anybody out there had any success with sliding the front forks further "up" in the clamps in an attempt to drop the height of the front-end to reduce the seat height.
    My wifes current ride is an old 80 850L, I want to put her into a 83 1100E next year, but the paramount issue is seat height & I was figuring sliding down the clamps plus careful spring preload at her 250+lbs should work.
    Any thoughts?
    Rick........

Hi. I don't think dropping the front end will drop the seat heighth by much, plus doing that will quicken the steering somewhat. If you should try it only drop the front end a few mm and maybe put on a set of shocks maybe an inch shorter. I can't say for sure how it would handle but when you start changing frame and steering geometry you could open a big can of dangerous worms. You might try buying an aftermarket seat like a "Corbin Gunfighter"( I have one on my 1100). These have a scooped out portion that is somewhat lower than a stock seat. Also could try having the stock seat pan recovered with less foam for the rider. These are just suggestions not recommendations, except for the seat change.
    By the way... Nice riding weather we're having here in Oregon now huh? NOT!!!
    Be careful and good luck!

Comment

Seats & rain......

Originally posted by Jeff Tate
      Hi. I don't think dropping the front end will drop the seat heighth by much, plus doing that will quicken the steering somewhat. If you should try it only drop the front end a few mm and maybe put on a set of shocks maybe an inch shorter. I can't say for sure how it would handle but when you start changing frame and steering geometry you could open a big can of dangerous worms. You might try buying an aftermarket seat like a "Corbin Gunfighter"( I have one on my 1100). These have a scooped out portion that is somewhat lower than a stock seat. Also could try having the stock seat pan recovered with less foam for the rider. These are just suggestions not recommendations, except for the seat change.
      By the way... Nice riding weather we're having here in Oregon now huh? NOT!!!
      Be careful and good luck!
      Jeff:
      A gunfighter seat...yeah, with all three possibilities the seat should be low enough...I think the lowering of the front end should'nt really quicken up the steering too bad as the big GS is very stable and "slow" steering especially considering the steep rakes of todays ultra sport machines.
      Looks like we won't make tomorrows ride to SE at Portland Suzuki with wifes "Women on Wheels" group.For all you out there its' mid forties and windy & rainy here!!
      Rick..........

Comment

You know, for the life of me I can't figure out why there are so many motorcycling events scheduled for this time of year in the Northwest!
        All summer it's 80's and 90's and no groups have any events outside of the "ODD" Harley based poker runs. But as soon as the crummy weather hits, it's "Hey! let's go riding!" I still go riding of course but the group rides and events are fun too... I think. LOL

Comment

hey, i saw you guys live in oregon. i'm in SE and riding everyday and loving every minute of it.

Comment

If you lower the rear the same amount as the front (using a shorter shock) it shouldn't make any difference in the handeling. BUT it will reduce the ground clearence some, will require modifying the side stand and doing away with the center stand if equiped with one

Comment

Working...
            X