Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tossing some ideas out on the table

Hi guys,
    I ended up buying a 1981 GS1100EX so I'm through with hypothetical questions about bikes I may buy. Now I want find out just what I can do with mine to make it "My ultimate travel bike".

Here's the table of contents: :roll:
    -exhausts
    -forks and swingarms
    -lights
    -luggage
    -weight
    -windshield
    -tail weight
    -wheels

First, I found the below pics off of Bertauts site and I must say that they are "The Cats Ass". Are they still available anywhere? I have a 4-1 but it is below the engine and I want one that doesn't rob me of underbelly clearance. Turning clearance is not a problem as long as it is as good as or better than stock. I will still need to be able to change my oil/filter without removing parts of the exhaust.

Second, I see that fork tubes can be bought at pretty much any length needed. Would an extra 2 inches of ride height (perhaps 3 inches of fork tube, I haven't done the geometry yet) be too much? I would also buy a longer swing arm in order to lift the rear an amount equal to the fronts lift. The longer swing arm would also be used for a longer wheelbase. Again, how much more wheel base is too much? I am not trying to keep the bike as sporty as it already is (don't laugh, it's plenty sporty for my intended application) so I'm not worried about it no longer being able to handle 200km/h switch backs.

Third, would a pair of 5.5" lights up front cause any unexpected problems? I imagine I would have to make an electrical box to hold the harness. Having a single headlight really does not turn me on as I've changed enough on cars...it's just a matter of time until one burns out at a point of time where I could get killed. Electrex parts will be fitted to handle the lights.

Fourth, how wide of luggage can I have and still be able to make tight turns? I want to get/make some nice paniers but it is hard to leave room for a passenger unless they are either low to the ground or high and far to the back. Trade offs, trade offs...

Fifth...hehe, have you stopped taken a break from reading this yet? Can these bikes be ridden at 1000lbs total day in and day out for many many months at a time? This is the max they say they can handle and it isn't hard to pack this much stuff since I weigh in at about 205lbs fully clothed and I'm hoping to have a companion with me for my travels. I do know that pretty much every bike that has gone Round the World with a monoshock set up has had a busted linkage because of being over loaded. That's why I like the dual shocks.

Sixth, is there some sort of fold up or stowable windshield available for motorcycles? This is probably the strangest question but I really hate windshields. They are, however, a necessity once in a while.

Seventh, how much weight on the tale is too much? I've found a company that makes auxiliary fuel tanks that mount below the license plate. Gas it about 10lbs/gallon. Maybe that diesel...I'm not sure. I would like another 2.5 gallons. I wouldn't likely need more than 500kms of range total. There are places in Canada that require more than that but I could carry even more fuel for those roads since they are very uncommon unless riding after 10pm...

Eigth, spoke wheels vs. cast. I get the impression that spoke wheels are stronger when it comes to taking a beating but cast are better for big horse power. I want wheels that can take a reasonable beating...I'll be going off pavement (ride the road to hell even if it isn't paved, right?) with my 1000lb whale.

Anyway, that's it for now. You guys don't have to answer all of the questions at once. This is a long term project that will begin with the engine being inspected and built up if not already done.

Thanks in advance, Steve

1000 lbs off-road? My hat is off to you. Avoid the squishy stuff.

On a more serious note - I also plan to rebuild an 1100 motor. I'm just in the beginning stages so I don't have a lot of info on it right now. Keep you posted.

Steve

Comment

i think you have enough questions to keep the technical Q and A section going all winter 8O . May I suggest that you post them there one at a time. This way you will get many responses to each question. They are all worthy of much conversation

Comment

Swanny:
        The significant other will be at the back pushing if I ever go trail riding. I'm was thinking more about dirt roads. But then again, you wouldn't believe the first 15 kilometers of the highway in Guatemala when traveling west from Belize...that almost did in my E150.

Steve

Comment

Make sure that you put a manual winch on it. At that weight, you'll be using it alot.

Comment

Working...
          X