Anyone running a Hannigan Sport Fairing?I'm looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone running a Hannigan Sport Fairing?I'm looking

I'm thinking about a Hannigan sport fairing for my 1979 GS850. I noticed there is one in the gallery that looks very sharp IMO.

Can anyone tell me if they have any practical experience with one on their bike?

I am led to believe the wind protection is great , and they are quite aerodynamic and therefore should be quiet as well.

Are you running lowers and the chin fairing or just the upper fairing.

Thanks.

Hannigan fairing experience

I bought a new Hannigan several years ago and wasn't very happy from the very beginning. The owner of the company was a real butthead to deal with. I expected better treatment considering the high price. After some aggravation, I was able to mount it on my '83 1100. The fairing with lowers, provided good wind protection and was IMO very aerodynamic. Most impressive was how well it would slice through the windblast from oncoming 18-wheelers. The pockets were adequate but had no means of locking like the Vetter does. I bought the additional bubble that attaches to the top of the windscreen but never mounted it for fear it would crack the windshield.
    I eventually sold the fairing at a considerable loss and bought a color matched Windjammer with lowers that I found cheap on eBay. I realize personal opinion plays a large part in all of this. If I were to sum it up, the Hannigan works well but, again, IMHO, not as well as the Vetter.
    FWIW, the guy who bought the Hannigan from me sent me a picture of his black GS with the black fairing mounted on it. It looked ALOT better on his bike than it did on my maroon GS. Still, I prefer Vetters for their look as well as their functionality. Lastly, if the same guy owns Hannigan as did when I purchased mine, I'd look elsewhere.

Comment

Thanks Al, I appreciate the information.

I would never buy a new Hannigan, I think the price new is about twice what my bike is worth!

But Hannigan fairings are a bit of a Canadian legend, the company was originally started in the late 70's by a local guy who built them by hand. They were very popular here locally especially with BMW owners. But the company was hurt by the motorcycle recession of the early to mid 80's and I know the rights were sold to the tennessee company who produces them now.

Anyway since the GS850 was is essentially a vintage sport touring bike, I thought I might find a used vintage sport touring fairing to put on it. I know the originals did have optional locking hard tonneaus available, but they are probably hard to find now.

Thanks again for the insight Al.

Comment

Working...
      X