buffing the mags!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buffing the mags!!!

How the hell do you bring the life back to alloy wheels. My '77 750 is getting new tires and i would like to shine the wheels up a bit. i heard that steel wool is a BAD idea and im not sure which chemical cleaners actually work for this. The corrosion is minimal and is more of a tarnish effect (an eyesore none the less). Thanks in advance.

Mark

1977 gs750
    31, XXX km
    slightly modified 8valve engine (Custom oil filler cap!!)
    old kerker exhaust

Mark,
    I got some Mothers polish and rubbed it in real good on mine. I then took a drill with an arbor bit and buffed them out over and over.

Seems to have worked pretty well.

Michael

Comment

I would also recommend Mother's as well

Comment

I used Mothers and a polishing pad in a drill bit. Didn't come out too bad. WIll clean them up really good this winter.

Comment

Polishing wheels

Mothers works real good for cleaning after they have been polished. The wheels on my 1100e are pretty bad and will be getting done this winter. The process to make them shine is long and hard. The best way to do it is start with wet sanding them with 800 grit paper and progressivly work towards 2000 grit. Then use a polishing compound called tripoli on a wheel (electric drill, and pads works fine for the small area's of your rims), then you use a buffing comound which makes them shine. Do NOT use mothers immediately after buffing the wheels, it will dull them a little, it is best to use the mothers creme when you do your bike cleaning to clean them up. If you don't want to go through all the work, you can also send them out to have them done. I don't charge alot to do wheel when you leave the black centers in them, I could also polish the whole wheel but it would deter from the stock look. I give a price break to GS Resources members, just let me know your a member.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Wet sanding seems to be the way to go eh? THe advice was great quickie "from Washington". i have heard some nice things about mothers for final cleaning but will go the sandpaper route for the first little bit, to get the surface clean before laying any cream to the rims. Washington is not that far from Woodstock, Canada (where I am). But, im sure the over border shipping and customs charges would be a bit over board for the time being. YES, i am a member and any price break would be greatly appreciated.....black centers???? . The rims are stripped right down as of yesterday. Bearings and all.

Mark

1977 gs750
            31, XXX km
            old kerker exhaust

Comment

i use that automotive foaming wheel cleaner. spray it on, scrub it with a plastic tile brush like the ones you use to clean shower tile and spray it off. if there is any extra brake dust i use a little carb cleaner.
              Never tried the Mothers stuff but i hear good things.

Comment

One more thing about wet sanding. As you use the sandpaper it is going to dull itself. You don't need to get too many different grades to accomplish the job. I did a set of GSX-R wheels that I'm running on my GS. The spokes and hub had a sandcast finish. I had to start with about 180 grit wet and dry to knock the casting finish down. That 180 dulled itself to the point that it was probably equivalent to 600 grit or so. I spent about 20 hours doing each wheel. I also poslished the fork lowers and swingarm. The swingarm was finished with what I believe was powdercoating. Even the strongest paint remover didn't touch it. Sandpaper didn't cut through it either. I finally resorted to something I had heard worked, but was hesitant to try it. Spray on oven cleaner cut right through it after several applications. It does turn aluminum black where the finish has been removed. But as long as you are going through the polishing process anyway it's no big deal. In all I probably have 70 hours of polishing in the two wheels, fork lowers, and swingarm. The results are well worth it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark
                  Thanks for the replies guys. Wet sanding seems to be the way to go eh? THe advice was great quickie "from Washington". i have heard some nice things about mothers for final cleaning but will go the sandpaper route for the first little bit, to get the surface clean before laying any cream to the rims. Washington is not that far from Woodstock, Canada (where I am). But, im sure the over border shipping and customs charges would be a bit over board for the time being. YES, i am a member and any price break would be greatly appreciated.....black centers???? . The rims are stripped right down as of yesterday. Bearings and all.

Mark

1977 gs750
                  31, XXX km
                  old kerker exhaust
                  Have a closer look. Quickie is from Washington STATE! Get out your map book boy, Washington State is nowhere near Woodstock, Ontario. 8O
                  Kevin
                  E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                  "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                  Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Yeah good call!!

I looked that up just after i posted it and seen the Pacific Ocean!!!! a bit too far for my budget. Ill let ya know how they turn out.

Mark

1977 gs750
                    31, XXX km
                    old kerker exhaust

Comment

distance

Just a little ways from Ontario, but not to bad...lol

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, But for anyone who wishes to polish and repaint your wheels do the following procedures once the wheels are clean a free from grease and oil.
                        You will need the following list of supplies:
                        Two sheets each of 120 - 180 - 240 - 400 - 600 grit wet /dry sandpaper
                        One small block of jewlers rouge or any good aluminum polish available at any atuo supplier or truck stop.
                        One 4 to 6 inch polishing pad available at any hardware store
                        Any drill or grinder with a minimum speed of 2500 rpm. ( let the polisher do the work)
                        One roll of masking tape
                        One can of spray paint of your choice.

1) sand out all the machining ridges with 120 grit wet sandpaper
                        2) once all the lathe marks are out continue sanding, going to a finer
                        grade of paper each time. ie: 120 - 180 - 240 - 400 - 600.
                        3) once you have completed the sanding.
                        4) polish the wheel ( with all the sanding it only takes minutes to come up
                        like chrome)
                        5) once you are finished polishing, tape off the parts you do not want to
                        be painted.
                        6) Paint your rim the desired color

When all of your hard work is completed , you will have a polished rim that will a professional appearence.
                        Good luck , Archie

Comment

I used Mothers polish on my bike (the one that was pulled out of a snowbank!?!? WORKED GREAT

Comment

Why not just have your wheels powder coated gloss silver? All the polishing in the world will only be good for a short time if you don't clear coat them after polishing, but road salt, brake dust, tire fitting machines and all manner of wet greasy crap will spoil all that hard work eventually.

Powder coating is super hard, and a lot easier to clean than polished alloy. (probably why the factory powder coats wheels on most new bikes now......)

Plus the thought of spending 20 hours polishing crappy old GS wheels (that weren't that attractive even when new) doesn't appeal at all guys, c'mon, get 'em coated and spend all your spare time doing something constructive, like riding your bike, or drinking................. :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by terry
                              Why not just have your wheels powder coated gloss silver? All the polishing in the world will only be good for a short time if you don't clear coat them after polishing, but road salt, brake dust, tire fitting machines and all manner of wet greasy crap will spoil all that hard work eventually.

Powder coating is super hard, and a lot easier to clean than polished alloy. (probably why the factory powder coats wheels on most new bikes now......)

Plus the thought of spending 20 hours polishing crappy old GS wheels (that weren't that attractive even when new) doesn't appeal at all guys, c'mon, get 'em coated and spend all your spare time doing something constructive, like riding your bike, or drinking................. :twisted:
                              NAH i disagree
                              some of us have to have a excuse to get away from the wife
                              and its not hard work when you'r armed with a six pack
                              John.

Comment

Working...
                              X