Making hard dried rubber semi-pliable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making hard dried rubber semi-pliable

Ok, I'm sure I'm not the only person who knows this but I can't find a posting concerning it. I have been working om bikes throughout the cold weather and had much difficulty getting carbs into the cold, hard rubber boots. I discovered that If I use my heat gun, which is designed to peal paint off anything, to gently heat the rubber parts, The job gets real easy. First, make sure carb bowls are empty. Second use heat gun to heat the boots, one at a time, a little at a time. You will notice that the rubber gets very soft and pliable. Third just smear a little silicone grease aroung the carb throats and they almost fall into place. Well not really fall into place but it really makes it quite simple.

For sure heat gun works great!!. You can also submerge thme in boiling water for a bit, it will heat evenly and not melt any rubber (like the heat gun may if your not carefull). Must be installed right out of the water before they cool and harden.No grease is needed as the boots are kinda wet from the water allready. (granted the heat gun is fun to play with on freezing cold nights in the garage, and a bit quicker than hot water).

Mark

1977 gs750
    31, XXX km
    slightly modified 8valve engine (Custom oil filler cap!!)
    old kerker exhaust

Comment

Yeah as cold as it's been it kinda warms up your work area. I never tried the hot water idea before. I'll give it a try.

Comment

hot water

I have used the hot water idea. It works great!

Comment

Gee where does it get cold enough to harden rubber?? Must be someplace that has that white stuff that covers the ground at times. Hmmmm.

Comment

Well it must be nice not having to worry about that white frozen crap. Someday I'll win the lottery and move somewhere that doesn't have the frozen water and bitter cold weather. I suppose it coulb be worse, they of those cold people further north from here. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
              Well it must be nice not having to worry about that white frozen crap. Someday I'll win the lottery and move somewhere that doesn't have the frozen water and bitter cold weather. I suppose it coulb be worse, they of those cold people further north from here. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.
              but... where would you ride your snowmobiles? 8O

Comment

On da beach Sha!

Comment

Working...
                X