Cleaning up the engine covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning up the engine covers

Ok, so I read the post on "Make it brighter" and a few others, so here are some questions, correct if I am wrong.
    -Using this procedure with the paint thinner will eat the clear coat off of the covers right?
    -Then you have to polish and keep the covers polished correct?
    -What is the best clear coat to reapply so I do not have to polish as much? Does it come in a spray can, does it resist chemicals (like gas and oil)?

-Thanks

Re: Cleaning up the engine covers

Originally posted by KrazyKarl02
    Ok, so I read the post on "Make it brighter" and a few others, so here are some questions, correct if I am wrong.
    -Using this procedure with the paint thinner will eat the clear coat off of the covers right?
    -What is the best clear coat to reapply so I do not have to polish as much? Does it come in a spray can, does it resist chemicals (like gas and oil)?

-Thanks
    Not a direct answer to your question, but my unsolicited opinion about polishing and clear coating. I hate clear coating of polished surfaces. When the clear coat yellows, fogs, reacts with chemicals then it looks like *%$%# and you will have to strip the clear coat off and reapply. Once the surfaces are polished I think they are easy enough to keep that way. Always IMO.

Comment

polishing

Dan's right. The clear will "fog" the polished surface. Not to mention the fact that you need a semi rough surface for paint to adhere to. Once the polishing is done, it easy to maintain, if it gets neglected, it will be a pain again. Take your time, do a good polishing job, and maintain it will Mothers, maguires, or never dull. Good luck

Comment

Cleaning up the engin covers

I agree with moto_dan and quickie, but if you are determined to clear coat your covers, look into clear powder coating. I have spoken with some restoration guys who swear by its durability.

In the long run though, I think you will be happier without any clear coat, I know I am.

Comment

??

but doesn't the clear coat protect the engine parts from oxidation? Heck, I took off some clear coating from my stator cover....within a day it already had white spots (oxidation) all over it.

Isn't clear coating necessary?

Also, I used paint thinner...but the clear coat didn't come off...and I got some powerfull stuff. I guess I'll have to sand it off.

Rudi

Comment

Rudi:

To strip the clearcoat, try aircraft stripper. They sell it at most of the auto parts stores around here. I used it to strip a set of Ford alloy wheels and it did a great job. 2 coats and I was down to bare metal.

If you want to re-coat it, try Eastwood's Diamond Clear. I used it with great success. Good luck.

Comment

I see....

G Man,

I'll have to get that stuff! Thanks for the tip

Rudi

Comment

clearcoat

Rudi, clear isn't neccesary, as long as the covers have been polished with a quality compund, it has the neccesary chemicals in it to keep the cober looking good for a long time, as long as you periodically clean them with a good aluminum cleaner like Meguiars, or Mothers.

Comment

After stripping and polishing up my covers last year all I have done is use a good metal polish on the pieces whenever I wash and wax the bike. Since I polished my own I took my time and got the pieces really bright almost chrome like. Flitz also makes a really great polish for metal.

Comment

Re: Cleaning up the engine covers

Originally posted by KrazyKarl02

-Thanks
                    Krazy.....Your not using paint thinner but paint stripper. Yes you will have to keep it polished but there are several very good polishes that will keep it bright for a very long time. As for clear coat....when I use it I use Duplicolors Ceramic High Temp clear coat. (For you long time readers once again I do NOT own stock in that company) So far it has worked very good for me. No fading in over a year and a half and the bike gets exposed alot to the sun when I park it at work. Clear powder coat is another very good idea. If you dont want to polish it all the time to keep it clean and bright then thats the way I would go. Myself since I have all the equipment to polish I dont mind the work.

Comment

FWIW, oven cleaner is what I use to remove the clearcoat when polishing.

And i have yet to see a clear that comes from a can that can resist chemicals very well. I do remember some stuff that the Eastwood Co. sells that is for polished aluminum, but I have never used it.

Comment

Well if you want the shine with out the hassles of polishing then how about getting them powder coated chrome.. They have come up with some very good powder coating colors in the last few years, you would be surprised!!

Comment

Hanks right, there are some real pretty translucent colors out there. Would ake ANY bike look great.

Comment

Working...
                          X