X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnetic drain plug

Would it be possible to use two part
    epoxy and glue a magnet onto the
    drain bolt? Or would the oil eat it up yum?

You could try JB Weld. I think it's better suited to applicatioons likely to encounter oil.

Comment

Dont most drain plugs already have a little magnet built into them

Comment

Mine does Scotty!!

Michael Buttercup Bubblehed 8O

Comment

If you use JB weld you have to be very careful not to leave your petcock on "prime". JB Weld and gasoline don;t mix at all.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdez
            If you use JB weld you have to be very careful not to leave your petcock on "prime". JB Weld and gasoline don;t mix at all.
            The JB weld sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Now that you mentioned JB weld and gasoline. A few months back i cracked my clutch cover and repaired it with JB weld. i have left my pingle on a few times and i guess its fortunate that i dont have that repaired cover on the bike as i cracked it again and replaced it with a used one.

Comment

Good point. Spoke before I thought. (Thanks, mattdez).

Back to Scotty's thought. Are you sure your plug doesn't already have a magnet?

Comment

maagnootized drain plug

I don't thinky it does have a magnet.

Comment

Re: maagnootized drain plug

Originally posted by Jakeydiem
                  right smack in the center of the drain plug is where mine is--It is recessed a bit also.

Comment

Not to stir anything up but JB weld is compatiable with gasoline. I've used it many times. Are you possible thinking of RTV?

Comment

Re: maagnootized drain plug

Originally posted by Jakeydiem
                      Just a thought (hope this better than the last one I had), have you tried to pick something metal up with it? Screwdriver, wrench, ect...
                      That should clear it up right away.

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
                        Not to stir anything up but JB weld is compatiable with gasoline. I've used it many times. Are you possible thinking of RTV?
                        I was eondering how the racing boys used it to repair heads and other stuff and have it not compatable--so are we shure now that it is definitely compatable.??

Comment

Well, one of my friends told me this. He used it on his race car and found out the hard way that gasoline disolves JB Weld. As for RTV sealant... gasoline disolves that, as does hot exhaust.

Comment

Sticking a magnet to the drain plug

Devcon makes a two-part epoxy that I believe would work very well. As with any idea that could cause problems if it didnt work, I'd test it out 1st before using it where it could cause some problems.
                            A few years ago, when I rebuilt my 1150, I epoxied some strong magnets on the outside of the lower crankcase half between the fins. My reasoning was that it'd keep any metal particles that settled in the bottom from going anywhere else. There's NO WAY a magnet on the outside could cause a problem, even if the epoxy did fail. At least, I can't imagine it being able to cause a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                              Originally posted by moto_dan
                              I was eondering how the racing boys used it to repair heads and other stuff and have it not compatable--so are we shure now that it is definitely compatable.??
                              I guess we need to mix some up, set it gasoline and see. I've used it(JB weld) to repair post in carb bowls and small holes in fuel tanks and to fill in intake passages with no known problems, but maybe I didn't observe the repairs long enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X